PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Hot Springs

Roman Kurywczak
06-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Continuation of older scans............Mammoth Hot springs..........if I remember correctly...........I was on the roof of the truck at the side of the road (never buy a rental car........I may have rented it!).....E100VS film is the only spec I can give. Very stormy that late afternoon. Many years earlier I had seen images like this...but never found the location........trees had "grown up".........hence the roof of the truck.
Comments always welcomed and appreciated.

Judd Patterson
06-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Love how the clouds really set this scene to life. I always love creative ways to get a new vantage point too..nice work at the expense of the rental. ;) I only wonder about the balance of terraces and sky...the roughly 50/50 split may not be ideal IMO. I find my eye drawn to the lower-right where we have terraces, the sillouted mountain peaks, and still a lot of drama in the dark sky...maybe a tighter image there would have been nice too! I find Mammoth Hot Springs to be very difficult to photograph at the present...many of the most spectacular fomrations are currently dormant and so many people.

Robert Amoruso
07-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Roman,

So much detail, colors and shapes. The light is great. The scan same out great. I think Judd is onto something with a tighter crop. I tired one using the RoT cropping guide and started from the lower left and cropped right so that the slope exited frame in the lower third. Vertically, I made the top third the sky.

Julie Kenward
07-01-2008, 03:29 PM
That's really incredible roman. I can't pick any one thing I love more than another - the clouds, the colors, the whole comp - it all is fabulous. You're really making me want to get in my car and hit the road.

Gayle Clement
07-02-2008, 09:05 AM
You captured wonderful lighting in this one. I love the bright white of the flow and the almost-navy skies. You might crop a bit of the sky so that it is only one third of the photo.