PDA

View Full Version : Blue-grey Gnatcatcher

Joseph Przybyla
06-14-2019, 07:29 AM
I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. The bird was feeding on Fire Flag blossoms, climbing the stalk. This behaviour and that of the Purple Gallinule are described in the Birds As Art Middle of Florida Photography Site Guide that will be available soon on Artie's Birds As Art Online Store. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 400mm
1/1000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 900 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction, removed a blossom and stem that was intersecting the birds head
Cropped for composition and presentation

Ivan Sjogren
06-14-2019, 08:30 AM
Nice one Joe!

The light, perch and BG all looks perfect too me. You got a great pose and eye contact from the bird as well and that blue streak in the background complementing the grey on the bird.
I do think the IQ seems a bit lacking as there is still some noise present and there aren't much detail on the perch or fine feather details on the bird. Maybe a big crop? Not much you can do differently though. I like the composition as presented here.

annmpacheco
06-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Hi Joe, little bullets that next to never stop. However, you caught one for a split second! I would prefer if the fire flag didn't spread at the intersection of the flycatcher's back. Also, the head and top back look a bit over sharpened w that crunchy texture. TFS

Mike Poole
06-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Beautiful frame aesthetically Joe, perch, bird angle and BG all look great but unfortunately the head looks soft which has killed the final polish

Mike

John Mack
06-15-2019, 10:11 AM
Like the composition on this one with that neat two background that is right on the bird. Agree with the head being soft. Neat little bird though.

Krishna Prasad kotti
06-15-2019, 11:24 PM
I love the image, on my large screen it lacks in details, but when I look at in my Laptop monitor it looks good.

TFS

Joseph Przybyla
06-19-2019, 06:25 AM
I love the image, on my large screen it lacks in details, but when I look at in my Laptop monitor it looks good.

TFS

Hi Krishna, thank you for viewing and commenting. Not sure what's happening between your large screen and laptop. The image looks fine on my 24" Eizo display.