PDA

View Full Version : theme Passerini Tanager, male

Moe Richard
06-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Taken under the forest canopy on an overcast day

iso 2000, 500mm, f7.1, 1000th, D500, handheld, 75% full frame, no flash

John Mack
06-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Very nice looking bird. The perch is pretty big but the background is great. That black and orange go great together.

gail bisson
06-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Hi Moe.
I have seen and photographed these beauties myself in CR. They are stunning birds.
Overall, this is a pretty good frame but I would like to make a few suggestions:
1.If this was a set-up then the perch is too large for the bird.
2. If this is a set-up, I would have removed the grasses that are coming out of the perch. I prefer an image when there is no vegetation coming out of the frame. If mine, I would "clone"or trim everything back to provide a clean border. i would also clone out that tiny little bit of grass sticking out of LHS. It would tidy that edge up.
3. I find the crop a bit boxy and would try a 4 x 6 comp. I might even try a comp that came up from the bottom and interesected with the branch and add some to the right and top.
4. There is a magenta cast to the blacks and I would address that on PSCC. If you need help with that, let me know!
5. The eye shows that typical rainforest artifacts and I might try to fix that by eliminating the little catchlight and cloning in some blacks to the upper pupil.
Gail

David Roach
06-05-2019, 04:59 PM
Fantastic job in that light with bird above you... Love the BG and, as usual, Gail has some great suggestions. Only wish you were higher(or subject lower)... TFS

dankearl
06-05-2019, 11:12 PM
I like the jungle perch myself and the exiting foliage is doesn't bother me.
I enjoy the birds you keep showing us from Costa Rica and this is a nice one.
It does not look like a setup...
HA could be better and I would work on the eye if it was mine.