PDA

View Full Version : Greenie on green...

David Roach
06-03-2019, 03:10 PM
EOS R EF 400DO I 1.4xtc II f8 1/640 ISO 1600

John Mack
06-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Spot on portrait. Detail in the feathers looks great. Like the slight head turn towards you. Killer background.

gail bisson
06-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Wow David! This is one of your best images yet.
IQ rocks, lots of good details and a great BG.
I like the way you cropped this.
If I was to be really picky I would wish that you had gotten the very tip of the bill in focus but you were at 1/640 and F 8 so you did not have much wiggle room for DOF
Gail

David Roach
06-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Wow David! This is one of your best images yet.
IQ rocks, lots of good details and a great BG.
I like the way you cropped this.
If I was to be really picky I would wish that you had gotten the very tip of the bill in focus but you were at 1/640 and F 8 so you did not have much wiggle room for DOF
Gail

I will continue to improve with excellent and valued help from the likes of you. I am currently challenged (IQ wise) with old glass combos that need to be stopped down one full stop for tack sharp images. Can't wait to get some RF telephoto glass which will not have these limitations. As always, I appreciate your eagle eyes and knowledge in general.

ps
From all the rumors that telephoto glass will be coming (along with pro body) within 1.5 to 2 years. I now own an RF walk around lens (35mm 1.8). Not even L series and it is phenomenal. The clarity, contrast and resolving power is off the charts. Great times ahead...

arash_hazeghi
06-04-2019, 12:50 AM
nice head shot Dave, sharp with good details, HA and a nice BG

TFS

Daniel Cadieux
06-04-2019, 04:51 AM
Nice portrait, with a well balance composition. Quite sharp. The bill perhaps a touch too smooth for me (NR there?). Very appealing close up.

David Roach
06-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Nice portrait, with a well balance composition. Quite sharp. The bill perhaps a touch too smooth for me (NR there?). Very appealing close up.

Hi Daniel,
No NR on bird but the bill almost looked polished on this beauty. The first thing I noticed when I walked up on this fella. Not sure why? I think that's why it does look very smooth. Thanks as always for your comments and suggestions.
Peace,
David

Moe Richard
06-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Excellent portrait with superb detail, color, and light. The background is perfect.

Joseph Przybyla
06-04-2019, 01:21 PM
Hey David, appears like the bird let you get close. I like the image a lot. I might have softened the detail a smidgin, in Lightroom if it looks a bit coarse I use the Luninance slider in the detail panel to soften it. Looking at your images I wouldn't worry about stopping down for sharpness. Most of those recommendations come from laboratory tests that really cannot be seen in the real world. The 400 DO certainly can be used wide open, a wonderful lens. Then you could up the shutter speed for the same ISO. The tip of the bill trending soft may have been because the bird was moving. A shutter speed of 1/640 is on the slow side. I try not to go below 1/1000 and push it up as conditions allow. Birds are very twitchy things, they are always moving. Nice image of a Green Heron, thank you for sharing.

P.S. On this image I may have used f/11 depending how close to the bird. Also backing up will increase depth of field, then crop more.