View Full Version : Flower

Krishna Prasad kotti
06-02-2019, 12:17 PM
I made this image in Redbutte Garden UT

Nikon D500, Sigma 150 Macro
1/3200 sec; f/4.2; ISO 1000
Aperture priority; Matrix metering
Camera on Tripod

This was shot with Camera Parallel to the ground on tripod. Used Live view to make sure focus is on the part which I wanted.

Post Processing:-
==================
Raw Using C1P
Dodging background left side of the flower
Burning on the right hand side of the Flower
Neat Image for NR

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

TFS

Jonathan Ashton
06-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Krishna, this is down to personal taste, my immediate reaction was "nearly but not quite there". I think I see what you were after, i.e. a sharply focused edge to the petals, well for me it is nearly there but not quite, I think however this is an excellent idea and the concept could be enhanced by masking.

Krishna Prasad kotti
06-03-2019, 12:38 PM
Can you explain further what is lacking? I also feel that I am not there. What do you mean by masking ?

I could not do focus stacking as I was not using my full frame which has auto focus stacking capabilities.

Jonathan Ashton
06-03-2019, 04:43 PM
Can you explain further what is lacking? I also feel that I am not there. What do you mean by masking ?

I could not do focus stacking as I was not using my full frame which has auto focus stacking capabilities.

Krishna, by masking I am indicating that a feature may be shown in a layer and that layer can have a mask applied and by brushing selectively on that mask you can eliminate certain features to show the presence of only some. The edges of the petals maybe slightly sharper than portrayed but I am guessing that you only wanted to show a little of the edge, well a mask could be used to show as much or as little of the edge as you would want to be visible. Lots of good video on You Tube - try Adobe first.

Krishna Prasad kotti
06-03-2019, 09:17 PM
Krishna, by masking I am indicating that a feature may be shown in a layer and that layer can have a mask applied and by brushing selectively on that mask you can eliminate certain features to show the presence of only some. The edges of the petals maybe slightly sharper than portrayed but I am guessing that you only wanted to show a little of the edge, well a mask could be used to show as much or as little of the edge as you would want to be visible. Lots of good video on You Tube - try Adobe first.

If Selective sharpening is what you meant, I already did that. I do use layers and adding masks a lot. I want to understand how that would have improved this image ?

Jonathan Ashton
06-04-2019, 02:58 AM
If Selective sharpening is what you meant, I already did that. I do use layers and adding masks a lot. I want to understand how that would have improved this image ?

I would attempt to make the focus of the edges of the petals more apparent, i.e. more distinct so the edge stands out proud from the OOF parts. In other words if the DOF was fairly deep I would selectively narrow it.

John Mack
06-05-2019, 03:07 PM
You either like these soft focus frames or you don't in my opnion. I like it. The focus is spot on and the colors compliment one another nicely.