PDA

View Full Version : Meet Bunche....

David Roach
05-31-2019, 01:53 PM
EOS R EF 400DO I 1.4xtc II f8 1/6400 ISO 800 FF

This is Bunche, named after the beach as one regular local informed me. When I arrived at Bunche Beach Preserve the first evening, I spotted this beauty immediately. As I briskly began to stalk this beauty I muttered to a local walking on the beach, "my bucket list bird". She just chortled and shrugged incredulously stating "That's Bunche, named after the beach... Here everyday when I walk the beach. He's a Reddish egret white morph." My turn to chortle, "I KNOW!!!." On my final morning at this beach I decided to stop chasing these beauties and just sat at the water's edge and waited. Another photographer, younger with a handheld 600mm f4 beastie, chased Bunche instead. Resulting in four passes down the beach (right to left) with close passes right by me. On this pass, I stayed horizontal as Bunche got close (too close) because of the low wing spread hunting pose. This was the best close frame of that pass. It is full frame so I must live with cut virtual legs and wing tip (not to mention no room in front) to show the intimate view (next time). You can see the tag and the antennae from the hidden transmitter. It looks like a defective plume. This was shortly after sun came over the mangroves on this morning. Also used large middle focus area on this morning and as expected worked great with ocean and sky as BG. Made it real easy to track...

Thanks as always for greatly valued previous comments, suggestions and discussions. Looking forward to more of the same.

Robert Kimbrell
05-31-2019, 05:58 PM
Hey David.
That was me with the 600mm that day. You got a nice pose here and nice focus on the eye. I like the raised foot even though it shows the band. The whites look good and the background color is attractive. As you know, you had too much lens here. I saw him this morning but he did not stay. I think he thought the tide was too high.

David Roach
05-31-2019, 07:14 PM
Hey David.
That was me with the 600mm that day. You got a nice pose here and nice focus on the eye. I like the raised foot even though it shows the band. The whites look good and the background color is attractive. As you know, you had too much lens here. I saw him this morning but he did not stay. I think he thought the tide was too high.

Hey Robert,
Nice to meet you and thanks for letting me know it was you (small world). I wanted to thank you for chasing him my way so many times... We were visiting my son and had two sunsets and two sunrises with the white morphs (all with low tide). I counted three separate individuals in that time.
Peace,
David

greg cowle
05-31-2019, 09:55 PM
Nice subject. Given you clipped one wing, one option would be to crop tighter, take off the RHS to after the band, making it a squarish vertical. I sometimes find it better to clip all around than one awkward clip.

Arthur Morris
06-01-2019, 01:26 PM
I do not mind the crop here. But the lack of room below hurts it as does the band. The latter is easy to remedy. LMK if you need help removing the band.

with love, artie

ps: very sharp with nice WHITEs.