PDA

View Full Version : Dunlin in Breeding Plumage

Krishna Prasad kotti
05-30-2019, 11:00 AM
I made this image in Florida Fort DeSoto 5/25/2019. Just started to process them and this one caught my eye.

Nikon D500, 600 f/4 +1.4x TCIII
1/5000 sec; f/5.6; ISO 800
Manual; Matrix metering

Post Processing:-

Crop to Level the Image
Remove Blue cast in the shadows
Very Little Beach Clean up
Removal of Dust spots
Nik 30-30 Filter
Dodging the face to brighten it up slighlty
Burn the highlights on Prey.

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thanks
Krishna

gail bisson
05-30-2019, 11:34 AM
I like everything about this except for the HA. I wish it was turned towards the viewer.
I have never seen a dunlin with such a big fish- very cool.
Gail

David Roach
05-30-2019, 12:00 PM
Love the run down the shore to assure no thievery before the attempt to swallow. The action obviates the need for perfect HA for me. I really like this one... TFS

dankearl
05-30-2019, 02:21 PM
HA is noted, but very nice IQ overall...

Ivan Sjogren
05-30-2019, 03:06 PM
I agree about the head angle but the fish definitely compensates for it a bit.
Nice light, low shooting angle and details.

kevin Hice
05-30-2019, 03:10 PM
This is nice ,love the fish adds so much. And the walking. Nothing to do about HA. TFS

Bob Smith
05-30-2019, 03:39 PM
I made this image in Florida Fort DeSoto 5/25/2019. Just started to process them and this one caught my eye.

Nikon D500, 600 f/4 +1.4x TCIII
1/5000 sec; f/5.6; ISO 800
Manual; Matrix metering

Post Processing:-

Crop to Level the Image
Remove Blue cast in the shadows
Very Little Beach Clean up
Removal of Dust spots
Nik 30-30 Filter
Dodging the face to brighten it up slighlty
Burn the highlights on Prey.

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thanks
Krishna

Great getting the low POV Krishna and the fish provides a real point of interest as usually these guys are mud dippers. I like your idea of lightening up the face and wonder if you ever sharpen the face an extra bit as well?

<object type="application/x-KPMPlugin" id="kpm_plugin"></object>
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Krishna Prasad kotti
05-30-2019, 03:51 PM
Thank you all for the comments. I really appreciate it.

Yes Bob, I do apply more sharpening to different parts of the image depending on the circumstances.. Do you see the image over sharpened ?

John Mack
05-30-2019, 06:55 PM
Never have seen a shorebird with such big prey item. Pretty neat. The walking/running pose is nice as the low angle.

Dorian Anderson
05-30-2019, 07:23 PM
I love this bird in breeding plumage and this shot shows that garb so well! Exposure and details on bird are great, and the prey item adds a lot of interest. Low angle and beach scene are great. Wish for a bit more direct eye contact,
but that's in the past. Still a really nice result!

Arthur Morris
06-01-2019, 01:58 PM
Gorgeous bird and ery sharp and bright. The head angled away is a bummer. And that fish has seen better days :)

with love, artie