View Full Version : Oystercatcher 2

William Dickson
05-30-2019, 10:12 AM

Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/6.3
1/2500
ISO 800

This is the same bird as my last Oystercatcher in flight. Different pose, I liked the open bill on this one.

Will

gail bisson
05-30-2019, 10:28 AM
This is THE ONE Will!! The colors are better, the open bill is fabulous and the bird is razor sharp.
Whites look so much better. The processing on this one is so much better as well.
Killer blue grey BG.
This is really good. Congrats.My jealousy bone is throbbing!

Krishna Prasad kotti
05-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Excellent Pose and the open bill adds to the image.

I like the placement of the bird and the details on the bird.

Everything is excellent.

TFS

Jonathan Ashton
05-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Terrific shot Will, great capture, I like the angle, the open bill and the background. Blacks look pretty good, if it were mine I would try to bring the whites down just a fraction.

Steve Kaluski
05-30-2019, 11:30 AM
How much of a crop Will?

Blacks look pretty good, if it were mine I would try to bring the whites down just a fraction.

I think there is a tad more movement in the Black, but agree with Jon, there is more to tease out from the whites.

TFS
Steve

dankearl
05-30-2019, 02:19 PM
Color looks better, you really nailed these...

Bob Smith
05-30-2019, 02:56 PM

Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/6.3
1/2500
ISO 800

This is the same bird as my last Oystercatcher in flight. Different pose, I liked the open bill on this one.

Will
Nice portrayal of feather detail in flight Will, even the fine ones on the head. These guys are pretty fast so catching images like this is an accomplishment of some magnitude and in this one you got great wing position plus the open beak. You've also found a nice balance point for exposure of blacks and whites. I shoot a lot of black-dark/white contrast birds here and it's often difficult to know how far to push the histogram to the right (accepting some blinky) Was any of your histogram off the scale for this shot? I agree with Jonathan and Steve if you do have room to bring the whites down a tad though.

<object type="application/x-KPMPlugin" id="kpm_plugin"></object>
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

kevin Hice
05-30-2019, 03:13 PM
Wow this is nice. Hard to beat this love everything about it. TFS

Dorian Anderson
05-30-2019, 07:25 PM
This is outstanding and blows your previous shot of this species away. Color and lighting across the back/wings are much better here, and the open beak is fabulous! Great action, super detail. Would love to have this frame in my collection. Might be able to turn the white down just a touch.

William Dickson
05-31-2019, 06:12 AM
Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated...Hi Steve, its approx a 50% crop. Some of the whites are on the 238/240 mark, I'll have another look at them.

Will

William Dickson
05-31-2019, 09:19 AM
Hi Bob, thanks for that. There was a little blinky, but nothing to cause concern....As I said the hottest were on the 238/240 mark...I'm sure I can reduce them a wee bit, without making them look grey. I agree, its not easy to expose a black/white bird, especially in flight.

Will

Steve Kaluski
05-31-2019, 11:44 AM
Hi Steve, its approx a 50% crop.

Why not pop a 1.4 on Will, would have kept the IQ and saved a hefty crop?

greg cowle
05-31-2019, 10:02 PM
The first one was special, this open bill makes this amazing.

William Dickson
06-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Why not pop a 1.4 on Will, would have kept the IQ and saved a hefty crop?

Hi Steve, I had the 1.4 on....Its hardly ever off now :S3:

William Dickson
06-01-2019, 12:58 PM
The first one was special, this open bill makes this amazing.

Thanks Greg, much appreciated..

Arthur Morris
06-01-2019, 02:00 PM
Quite excellent as noted by everyone above. I'd love to see a slighter wider version with the Contrast reduced a bit.

with love, artie

David Salem
06-02-2019, 10:30 AM
Holy Crap Will!! This as good as it gets and is probably one of the best flight images I have seen from you!! The open beak, HA, open tail, killer details and fading BG make this a world class shot. Processing looks much better too.
P.S. This is much better than the first one, always put your best foot forward:w3

Robert Kimbrell
06-02-2019, 02:11 PM
Fantastic Will, You really nailed this one, Great body position, very sharp and that open bill.

William Dickson
06-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Holy Crap Will!! This as good as it gets and is probably one of the best flight images I have seen from you!! The open beak, HA, open tail, killer details and fading BG make this a world class shot. Processing looks much better too.
P.S. This is much better than the first one, always put your best foot forward:w3

Thanks so much Dave...Coming from you, one of the guys who inspires me, and taught me, to do flight photography means so much. :S3:

Will

William Dickson
06-03-2019, 03:48 PM
Fantastic Will, You really nailed this one, Great body position, very sharp and that open bill.

Thanks Robert, much appreciated.

Will