Sigma 150 macro
remote release

iso400
f/19
2sec

all C&C appreciated

Fabs Forns
06-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Red and green are my favorite palette colors. In this case, the red seems a little hot, erasing the detail off the mushroom. You can go back a few points in the red saturation for a stronger image.

Roman Kurywczak
06-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi Bill,
Agree with Fabs on the reds...........but still very nice comp and BG. You must have been paying attention to John Coopers posts.........I thought it was his B4 i looked at the name. One other cleanup of a bright spot above the cap in the moss would make the BG perfect too!

Ed Vatza
06-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Interesting mushroom to be sure. My first reaction was that the red looks hot but looking at the stem and all, there is an overall translucency there. Is that real or is it a result of PP?

John Cooper
06-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Great complimentry colours Bill and the distorted cap makes for an interesting composition. A plus produced by this distortion is the section showing the gill structure. very nicely handled!!
(The reds look fine on my monitor Bill).

Bruce Murden
06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Great color combo here amd fabulous lighting. I see the mushroom in a glowing light, but I do wonder if you'd get a little more detail on top with a little less saturation. Next time, I'd consider a little bit of angle into the comp, or moving the mushroom toward the left of the frame. It seems to be cramped by the right side, and maybe too much framing on the left side.

Bill Whitney
07-01-2008, 06:02 AM
I have taken care of the light area above the mushroom.

Yes the stem does have the translucent quality in reality.

RED...I have dropped the red a little...but the main issue is the handling of these reds in sRGB vs adobe RGB. When I have the image open in adobe color space there aren't any red values above 225. I convert to sRGB then it shifts so that there are plenty of 255 red values.

Thanks for the comments.

Mike Moats
07-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Hey Bill, I like a lot of saturation, which I tend to do with my images. I liked the first post as better, the second now looks flat to me, but that just personal taste on the hot colors. For the comp I would have placed the Schoom in the middle and added more BG on the top. Nice job on the details and DOF.

Julie Kenward
07-01-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm stuck between the two as far as preference. I like the saturation of the first one but the detail of the second. Both are very nicely composed and lighted - but I'd have to flip a coin to decide which I liked better. :)

Robert Amoruso
07-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Bill,

Try a Selective Color Adjustment and add black to the red channel. That will intensify the red w/o losing detail.