View Full Version : Dunlin

William Dickson
05-29-2019, 09:16 AM
Canon 5D4
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/5.6
1/2500
ISO 1000

This is another from my trip to the Outer Hebrides. I was on a beach alone when a flock of Dunlin flew in, and landed next to a small stream where I was situated. I think they must have just flown in from Greenland or elsewhere, as they were oblivious of the human presence. They started feeding, and their heads were going real fast into the sand, hence the SS. Not the best BG, but shows the natural habitat. The small black particles is dried out seaweed, which blows off the Atlantic onto the surrounding land(machair) which makes it so fertile, which in turn grows lots of wild flowers, attracting lots of insects and birds.

Will

Krishna Prasad kotti
05-29-2019, 10:35 AM
Background in unattractive. I would still clone / dodge the dark part of the background and leave the rest as it is.

Bird looks sharp, preening post with direct look is very nice.

TFS

gail bisson
05-29-2019, 12:29 PM
I love the POV and feeding pose. Bird looks good and has very nice breeding colors.
BG is as you describe.
I would crop even tighter and reduce the amount of OOF foreground and from RHS.
I would definitely clone out the clump in the middle of BG on the RHS.

John Mack
05-29-2019, 06:05 PM
I like the head on view of the bird feeding. Background is what it is. Like the green foreground.

William Dickson
05-30-2019, 07:11 AM
Thanks for that guys, appreciated. I will crop tighter Gail, and see how it looks.

Will

Arthur Morris
06-02-2019, 12:12 PM
In facing/feeding shorebird situations it is hard to figure out where in the frame to put the bird ...

with love, a

ps: what month?