PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon On A Hot Day Nesting

Grady Weed
06-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time 7/1/2008 13:09:49, Shutter Speed 1/1600Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F8.0. Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -1 1/3 due to high sun and bright light from behind me in Kayak. ISO 400, Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM. Cropped for a 11x17 print, 98% of frame here, imaged about 15 feet away.

I was out scouting a new pond this afternoon. A friend told me while they were canoing a few days ago, they spotted a loon nesting and the mate swimming and fishing nearby. It was on a pond I've not been to before, so i decided to check it out. The wind was quite brisk and thunderstorms were building as I launched the Kayak. I knew I had only a few minutes before I would have to leave, so I stayed close by. I soon found the nest by accident really. The wind blew me around the pond, almost tipping me over. As it carried me over to some rocks out in the middle of the small mouth of the outlet, I realized the loon was right in front of me!

This loon chose a perfect spot to brood. The nest is located on some huge rocks with small brush. It is in the path of two currents that converge right in front of the nest. The wind blows over the tops of the trees, and right over the nesting area. You have to launch nearby, no other place to do so without being on private land. If you are not careful you will spin, flip the kayak because of the conditions I described.

A loon, just so all will know, will keep it's beak open to cool itself down in hot, humid weather. It is not a sign of stress! I think the loon was laughing at me when I almost flipped. I know some think this is too tight. I had very little time to take this image, about 3 minutes before I almost flipped my kayak. So I do not know if I can or will go back. Perhaps a less windy day and later evening light and more to -2/3 exposure compensation. I reduced the blacks here, slight curves and signed my name. that's it.

Let me know what you think.

Fabs Forns
06-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm on the tight side :( Just on the sides, though, comfortable with top and bottom space. Refreshing to see one out of the water :)

Alfred Forns
06-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi Grady I think its a little tight in frame !!! I like seeing about 75 % by the duck They just seem to look better !!!

The exposure on the duck is really good Excellent shadow/highlight detail !! Careful with that boat next time out !!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-30-2008, 08:40 PM
It is really interesting to see this loon out of the water. A first for me. I agree that a little more canvas would strengthen this wonderful capture. Thanks for sharing Grady !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Exposure control and details look good. I'm glad you and your equipment stayed dry. Maybe you can photograph the chicks in a few days.

Roman Kurywczak
06-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Hey Grady,
i admire the perserverance. I tried the Kyak thing a couple of years ago and almost had a heart attack when it almost tipped in the ocean with all the gear. Hope you get another shot at it. this could be a real great find!