PDA

View Full Version : Ole emerald eye...

David Roach
05-26-2019, 06:19 AM
EOS R EF 400 DO I 1.4xtc II f5.6 (still trying opening up) 1/640 ISO 1000

Small focus point on lore in front of eye. This guy was close. It's sharp but loses detail (also parallel to sensor).

John Mack
05-26-2019, 08:18 AM
Love that eye. Great portrait of this cormorant. Killer background with nice details on the bird as well.

Daniel Cadieux
05-27-2019, 11:07 AM
Photographing wide open (or close to it) is normally a great idea for many situations, but for tight portraiture such as here the opposite is true (light permitting). I would have tried f/10-11 here to get the bill tip within dof. The background looks to be distant enough that a smaller perture would not have had negative impacts to it. I love the ye of the cormorant, and you have some nice details here as well. The darker are on the neck is bad luck in the way the light did not hit there.

I'm enjoying seeing this species this close...up here we can very rarely pull off getting so close to one!

David Roach
05-27-2019, 12:42 PM
Photographing wide open (or close to it) is normally a great idea for many situations, but for tight portraiture such as here the opposite is true (light permitting). I would have tried f/10-11 here to get the bill tip within dof. The background looks to be distant enough that a smaller perture would not have had negative impacts to it. I love the ye of the cormorant, and you have some nice details here as well. The darker are on the neck is bad luck in the way the light did not hit there.

I'm enjoying seeing this species this close...up here we can very rarely pull off getting so close to one!

Hi Daniel,
I get your point on DOF (even though just getting the eye can make the image better(more dramatic) in some instances). You are right about our birds being acclimated. I was imaging this beauty and the rock dove on (also posted) either side of the boardwalk rails (one to the left, one to the right) just outside my MFD at the same time. In fact, as I looked up I noticed a backup of walkers kindly waiting on me to finish. I said go ahead and thank you. Well, three people walked right by these two and they did not budge. So spoiled....
Peace,
David