PDA

View Full Version : Theme: wing stretch Sandhill

Bob Smith
05-24-2019, 03:40 PM
There were a number of these standing around at the edge of one of the ponds at the Reifel Refuge on Westham Is. in the Fraser R. delta when this one decided to go through a display of wing stretching and posing. Canon 1DxII, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS + 1.4x III, ISO 4000, f/8, 1/1600, HH

181531<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

kevin Hice
05-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Love the detail and open wing different from the ordinary. Wish we would have the head turn,love the colors. TFS

Colin Driscoll
05-25-2019, 12:19 AM
Lovely subtle colors and detail. Head turn would have lifted it but still interesting. A bit tight at the top.

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2019, 05:04 AM
Hi Bob, with a zoom why cut the legs & right wing off? Crop the left as per the right and you have some synergy.

TFS
Steve

David Roach
05-25-2019, 06:09 AM
Hi Bob, with a zoom why cut the legs & right wing off? Crop the left as per the right and you have some synergy.

TFS
Steve

Hi Steve,
You must be looking on a smaller monitor as I have found sometimes this site cuts the right side without a scroll option for smaller monitors. Only happens sometimes. So, only the legs are cut.
Bob,
I like it as is because for me the feathers are the focus in this image and they are awesome.
Peace,
David

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2019, 06:46 AM
Cheers David, sorry Bob, I forgot to minimise the LH panel so it truncated the file, DOH!!! :S3:
However, as you say the feet are still missing sadly and some cloning work, vertical strip above the right wing and to the right of the signature, towards the foot of the frame. Colours are pleasing though, but perhaps can be push a tad more???

Bob Smith
05-25-2019, 01:24 PM
Thanks to all for the input--it really is helpful and appreciated...I'm actually feeling a renewed enthusiasm for the sport with participation in these informative exchanges ( altho it is time consuming isn't it. ). I've reposted a shot further along in the sequence that has a better head turn and I hope I've done a better job of cloning ( a big rock and a juvenile hanger about). I've also upped the general colour saturation a bit Steve to see what you think--in defence of my 1st colours it was a cloudy day and everything was a bit muted. With some sunset light the oranges w/h really lit up

.181546<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2019, 02:00 PM
I hope I've done a better job of cloning ( a big rock and a juvenile hanger about).

Hi Bob, always work on a duplicated or new layer when cloning, never work on the main layer. The bottom cloning is better, but the vertical strip above the right wing is pretty poor sadly. Not sure what software you use, but current PS should deal with this with ease. Content aware did a good job I think?

Dropping the Blue, as they are more grey from recollection from last Feb :S3: and just opening up the darks I feel here brings some of that nice detail you captured out, but still retaining the overcast look.

Cheers
Steve

Bob Smith
05-25-2019, 02:38 PM
Hi Bob, always work on a duplicated or new layer when cloning, never work on the main layer. The bottom cloning is better, but the vertical strip above the right wing is pretty poor sadly. Not sure what software you use, but current PS should deal with this with ease. Content aware did a good job I think?

Dropping the blue, as they are more grey from recollection from last Feb :S3: and just opening up the darks I feel here brings some of that nice detail you captured out, but still retaining the overcast look.

Steve

Thanks Steve---I agree with separating the orange from the blue when adjusting the saturation here--the difference in your RP is obvious and I shouldn't have been so hasty/lazy. The dark blur at the top hasn't been cloned--it is the shadow of a mallard. I have stubbornly refused to put in the time to learn PS, both for the reason of that time and because my goal is to keep PP time to a minimum and I've found that I can achieve much of what I want achieve with LR---if I'm careful and pay attention and work thoughtfully. Nevertheless, I know I still have a long way to go with PP and certainly there are some things I can only do with PS so lately I'm on the lookout for a good PS course online. ( and I'm sure returning to participation here will push me along in that regard ). <object type="application/x-KPMPlugin" id="kpm_plugin"></object>
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2019, 02:53 PM
The dark blur at the top hasn't been cloned--it is the shadow of a mallard.

Ah OK, but I think it's better without, but respect your ethics.

The issue with LR is that it's more Global as you know Bob, PS is more 'refined' and you can do a lot more. Yes there is a truck load you can learn, many folk only scratch the surface, but also there is a side of PS that isn't applicable either, I just happen to have grown up with it from the early 90's, but full understand why you might be reluctant. LR has it's pitfalls too, but if it works for you as it does for me, go with it. :S3:

I can only do with PS so lately I'm on the lookout for a good PS course online.

Sadly there is a lot out there and navigating through what is good or bad is very hard, tapping into both Artie & Arash's stuff may help as a platform, or looking at the Resouces forum here if you haven't already?

Joseph Przybyla
05-25-2019, 03:19 PM
Hi guys, interesting discussion that I would like to chime in on. I do about 98% of my post processing in Lightroom. I only use Photoshop to convert the master file to a 16 bit TIFF, for removing objects (cloning and content aware brush and fill) and also for adding canvas when needed. I disagree with one thing Steve just wrote..."The issue with LR is that it is more Global". Yes the sliders are global but the Adjustment Brush is not. With the updates to Lightroom masks are easy using the Adjustment Brush. Color Masks, Luminosity Masks both are easy. The brushes let the correction be controlled by feathering or density depending how you set the brush. All of the adjustments of the sliders can be applied locally with the Adjustment Brush. The two newest sliders Dehaze and Texture are also on the Adjustment Brush. Anyways, just me two cents. I would suggest anyone using Lightroom look at and learn the Adjustment Brush. It is a strong tool with many uses.

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2019, 03:44 PM
Guys, albeit a good learning discussion, perhaps we may, if needed, take this to PM’s rather than hijacking the thread? Just a thought. :S3:

Joe, I think we will have to disagree, even with LRs adjustment brush the actual ‘tool’ is not as refined as PS, this is why, having both offers you the best of both worlds. It’s a seamless transition between the two where you can Export from LR direct, work in PS and then save back to LR for any further enhancements before exporting out. Having it within the Adobe cloud makes it more affordable, but then once in, you can’t go back. Yes, the Adjustment brush & mask is quite good, but it never delivers the quality PS can for precise adjustments.

John Mack
05-26-2019, 08:32 AM
Detail on those feathers is great. Love the outstreched pose and yes agree about the cropping.

Arthur Morris
05-27-2019, 08:15 AM
Guys, albeit a good learning discussion, perhaps we may, if needed, take this to PM’s rather than hijacking the thread? Just a thought. :S3:

Joe, I think we will have to disagree, even with LRs adjustment brush the actual ‘tool’ is not as refined as PS, this is why, having both offers you the best of both worlds. It’s a seamless transition between the two where you can Export from LR direct, work in PS and then save back to LR for any further enhancements before exporting out. Having it within the Adobe cloud makes it more affordable, but then once in, you can’t go back. Yes, the Adjustment brush & mask is quite good, but it never delivers the quality PS can for precise adjustments.

No need for that. The discussion here is a good one and is civil :)

a

Arthur Morris
05-27-2019, 08:34 AM
I really like the look of the feathers in the original post; they almost look as is come sort of effect was added. Even Pane #7 is too tight. Here is my solution which IMHP is the strongest of the lot :)

with love, artie