PDA

View Full Version : Theme: hunched up heron

Bob Smith
05-23-2019, 03:16 PM
It was a chilly day in January and this mature great blue heron was standing in the field just landward of the Brunswick dyke. I had seen him land up ahead of my walk and was lucky enough to get quite close so this image didn't need much cropping. It was well fluffed up and hunched in to ward off the chill. Canon 1DxII,EF 100-400 f/4-5.6 IS + 1.4x III, ISO 3200, f/6.3,1/1250,HH.181520<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

David Roach
05-24-2019, 05:59 AM
Wonderful pose(HA) and love the fluffed plumage. Wish you were lower as the ground makes a busy BG and for another round of NR on the bird before sharpening. Could also go a little brighter overall. I think you mentioned before you tend to under expose sometimes. If you are peeking with histogram you should move it as far right as you can without blowing highlights as this helps considerably with noise management(esp.at high ISO). You can always pull it back to your personal preference in PP. TFS

Daniel Cadieux
05-24-2019, 11:08 AM
The surroundings are rather busy, and not much you could have done about it, but boy-oh-boy that fluffed up plumage is something else. I don't recall seeing a GBH in this type of feathered pose.

John Mack
05-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Must have been quite cold. My first thought was this would have made a nice vertical.

Bob Smith
05-25-2019, 04:07 PM
The surroundings are rather busy, and not much you could have done about it, but boy-oh-boy that fluffed up plumage is something else. I don't recall seeing a GBH in this type of feathered pose.
Thank you Daniel--we see this plumage display a lot here so more to come.<object type="application/x-KPMPlugin" id="kpm_plugin"></object>
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Arthur Morris
05-27-2019, 08:47 AM
Yes to a nice fluffed up bird Sharp with a good exposure. Byt the rather steep anlge of declination and the mud are less than ideal. Where is the Brunswick dyke?

with love, artie