PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron

John Mack
05-22-2019, 04:25 PM
Yes horrific setting. But this is where you see them here. This image was made at Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge in Tyre, New York on 5/19/19 at 9:37AM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Medium crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
600mm
ISO 400
f8.0
1/2000sec

Bob Smith
05-22-2019, 04:35 PM
Amazing what these guys can swallow. Very nice on the exposure and DOF John. It is usually tough to get a decent BG in heron country but maybe
cloning out the bright stick under the bird's neck might be a good idea here.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><object type="application/x-KPMPlugin" id="kpm_plugin"></object>
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

David Roach
05-23-2019, 03:02 AM
Awesome behavioral image, maestro of the Sigma contemporary... The environment is what it is leaving me to only wish for a lower angle. EXP, SH and details are off the chain... TFS

gail bisson
05-23-2019, 05:10 AM
The action is great and I really like the excellent position of the fish in the heron's mouth. Great to see both eyes so well.
I think the droplet of blood is very poignant.
The BG is really unfortunate and would be hugely improved by cloning out that large stick below the bird and I would also remove the stick coming out of the forehead.
Cloning those sticks out would make this pic pretty special
Gail

Dorian Anderson
05-23-2019, 11:16 AM
This is a really fantastic. The orientation of the fish and the juxtaposition of the eyes is outstanding. Had you been able to get a fully watery BG this would have been unbelievable.