PDA

View Full Version : Skimming 101

Axel Hildebrandt
06-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Last year I had a lot of fun watching and photographing Black Skimmers. This juvenile bird was walking along the beach with the lower mandible plowing through sand. It's a start. :)

John Chardine
06-30-2008, 02:34 PM
This is quite amazing Axel, and there are so many "just-so stories" as Stephen J. Gould called them, to explain what might be going on. Is it play/practice for the real thing or have you discovered a new feeding technique for the species? For the latter idea to work, there has to be something to eat in the sand- is there? What do you think is going on?

Anyway, a brilliant observation.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-30-2008, 03:30 PM
I think it is play/practice. He also played with a stick for no apparent reason other than entertaining himself. I also saw slightly older juveniles flying along the beach plowing through sand. I have images of both that I can post later.

Fabs Forns
06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
I've seen this behavior in chicks and it feels like play with the trade tools :)

Arthur Morris
07-01-2008, 07:16 AM
There is nothing at all for them to eat in the sand. And perhaps more amazingly, I have, on several occasions in Cape May, NJ, seen the juvies skim the sand in flight! My vote, therefore, is for practice.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-01-2008, 07:40 AM
This is a juvenile practicing in the sand. When there was some sort of resistance, a little rock or so, I also saw the reflex that closes the bill. This image is only supposed to demonstrate the behavior. :)