PDA

View Full Version : Great White Heron

Jim Neiger
06-30-2008, 09:20 AM
I set out last Thursday morning to go to Viera Wetlands in search of the Great White Heron. There were reports the week before of a GWH at Viera Wetlands, and I had never even seen one. I was thrilled to locate and photograph one for the first time. Here is a shot of it in flight.

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

http://www.flightschoolphotography.com/POTN/am2.jpg
Brevard County, FL - 1D3, 500mm, hand held, 1/2000, F7.1, ISO 800, manual exposure mode

Axel Hildebrandt
06-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Great find and capture of this bird. I've never seen this species and am not even sure what their normal range is. Thanks for sharing!

Fabs Forns
06-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Beautiful top view of the bird. I think it's called Great Blue Heron, White Morph now. It could go a little brighter for my taste.

We didn't see hm last week-end when we were there, but didn't really look either. There's always one at Anhinga Trail during the season!

Jim Neiger
06-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Beautiful top view of the bird. I think it's called Great Blue Heron, White Morph now. It could go a little brighter for my taste.

We didn't see hm last week-end when we were there, but didn't really look either. There's always one at Anhinga Trail during the season!

Thanks Fabs. I had the same thought after I posted it. It was one of those overcast mornings. I hate the clouds early in the morning, but by 9:30 or so I was glad it was overcast, particularly for the white birds.

Nancy A Elwood
06-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Jim, beautiful!! The BG is great and I love the textures on the wings!! Very sharp!!! I have been out there on several occassions to try and get images, but the opportunities did not avail to me. I found out that the Great White Heron is the white morph of the Great Blue Heron, so I guess the range would be similiar, Axel.

Fabs Forns
06-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Good to see you posting anyway :)

Will send you a note when we spot the one here!

Sharna Lee
06-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Jim,
This is an excellent post of this large white bird. I know how hard it is to get white subjects with any detail and you did wonerfully.

Sharna

Jim Neiger
06-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Good to see you posting anyway :)

Will send you a note when we spot the one here!

Thanks! I hope to be able to get down that way sometime over the summer. Things are finaly slowing down for me, so I should have time to visit here more often. I just completed trips to NY for an exhibit opening, and Tampa for my niece's wedding. I don't have any more trips planned until late August when I go to Australia for 8 weeks. Since the weather is hot and nasty here in the summer I should have some time to spend online.

Manos Papadomanolakis
06-30-2008, 10:49 AM
I really like the bg,details and eye contact!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Great to see one of these white herons Jim. I know they exist but I have not had the opportunity to see one. Many thanks for sharing !!!

David Hemmings
06-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Killer shot Jim, love the bg!

Arthur Morris
07-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Way cool and you got the image too! A crop from below would imrove this one a tad. I once saw one at Merritt. And I saw a Florida panther there too... Really did...