View Full Version : Fear of Flying

William Dickson
05-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/5.6
1/2000
ISO 1250

There has been a pair of Kestrels nesting on a ruined castle in my home town for years...I had a walk along this evening and good news they have returned to the same nesting hole, near the top of the castle. This is one from last year where this young one had left the nesting hole for the first time, walked along the wall to the edge, and decided on making his/her first flight. The castle is about the same height as a 3 storey building, and the look towards the ground tells the story. I managed this POV from a hill nearby. Interesting to see how much the talons have already grown.

Will

John Mack
05-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Love the title of this one. The vertical composition works very well. Like the wall perch. Like the light gradient in the background.

Ian McLachlan
05-09-2019, 05:48 PM
Lovely tone to the whole image.Whatever the crop its still sharp.And the old mortar [Ithink] still there!. Never get a better perch than that for a raptor.

Moe Richard
05-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Super inquisitive pose and fine rock perch. Nice level of detail. I think you could selectively increase the contrast slightly on the plumage above the shoulders.

David Roach
05-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Yes to all that has been said. I really love this canvas. Congrats. TFS

Randy Stout
05-10-2019, 06:39 AM
Will:

Really great story telling image! Aptly titled. Framing excellent.

I agree with Moe that perhaps just a bit of work on the plumage to give him/her a bit more pop, but all the basics are there.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
05-10-2019, 11:07 AM
I like the suggestions you got already. Cute pose, I love the left-over strands of young feathers on the head as they add lots to the story. It must be rather neat to observe these kestrels nesting on old historic ruins!

William Dickson
05-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Thanks all....Looking forward to getting them again this year.

Will