PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Vulture Feather Maintenance

Daniel Cadieux
05-06-2019, 07:40 PM
Even Turkey Vultures want to look pretty, with this one preening to keep its feathers in tip-top shape!

These guys just do not normally allow a close approach up here, so I was delighted when two of them paid no attention to my presence, and on a neat natural perch as well, rather than a farm post. A bright cloudy day, so high-key it was with no alternate BGs to be had apart from sky. Just as well, as if this had been a sunny day I would have been way off sun angle for any hopes of good images as this was photographed from the side of the road.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1000s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, small crop to help the comp.

Dorian Anderson
05-06-2019, 10:30 PM
Really nice frame of the uber-common but infrequently photographer species. Feather texture is lovely, and you got the perfect amount of eye contact. High key looks good.

David Roach
05-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Love the high key, the perch, the feather detail and even those nostrils leading to one of the best olfactory receptors on the planet. Great to see this sometimes under appreciated species get the "Cadieux" treatment. TFS

dankearl
05-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Cool to see one perched..
High key is a nice way to showcase those feathers.

John Mack
05-08-2019, 06:05 AM
Nice view of this tv. Like the high key treatment. But guess there was no other choice. Details look nice. I see these birds alot. But they are never in ideal spots to photograph.

David Salem
05-08-2019, 10:07 AM
These guys look great in a high key images and this one is no exception!! The preening pose, HA, nice details, and cool perch make this one a real keeper. Nice one Daniel