PDA

View Full Version : Reflecting stream

Mike Lentz
06-30-2008, 08:29 AM
This was taken last spring on the north shore of Minnesota near Lake Superior last year.

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/85336595.jpg

Nikon D200 (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/d200) ,Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/18-70_35-45g_edif_afs_dx)
ISO 100 ~ F/22 ~ 6 sec exp.

Roman Kurywczak
06-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Mike,
Mixed light in a forest is probably some of the hardest to work with. I looked at what I liked first.....water flow........most of the reflection........and even the rocks on the banks. Then I took it into PS...........grabbed my favorite tool........crop tool.......and tried to eliminate the things i felt weren't as strong..........brightness in the forest.......and dead tree on right of reflection......still a bit of mixed light......but greatly minimized IMO. As you know these type of corrections are to only show other possibilities........final decision is always yours. I do like hearing back as to how you feel about it!

Mike Lentz
06-30-2008, 02:22 PM
I think yours is better and I always want you to tweak my images if they need it. Thanks Roman! :D

Judd Patterson
06-30-2008, 10:39 PM
I certainly have to go with Mike and say that you did a fine job on the crop, Roman. The combination of fast moving blurred stream and still reflection is really unusual and quite cool...good work!

Sharna Lee
06-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi Mike,
This is beautiful. The soft motion of the water is soothing to me. I think you did a great job here.
I know, I know...you just wanted to show me that there are beautiful things in Minn. huh? ;)
So where are the Vikes pics? I would really like to see some of those. Especially if they're playin the Pack.

Becoming a Mike fan. :p

Sharna

Robert Amoruso
07-01-2008, 07:14 AM
I agree that Roman's crop works well. I saw this yesterday, noticed the distracting highlights and worked on it in PS trying to correct that and did not like the results and figured I would come back today. But Roman ht upon the perfect fix the strengthen the image - nice work Roman and to Mike for seeing the possibilities here and making this image with the strong FG and just right shutter speed to emphasis the water flow.

Julie Kenward
07-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Agree on the repost. I really love that you included some moving water and some still waters. You rarely see that in an image any more. It really sets this one apart.

Mike Lentz
07-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Mike,
This is beautiful. The soft motion of the water is soothing to me. I think you did a great job here.
I know, I know...you just wanted to show me that there are beautiful things in Minn. huh? ;)
So where are the Vikes pics? I would really like to see some of those. Especially if they're playin the Pack.

Sharna

Thanks Sharna! Hey Minnesota is nice about seven months of the year and then we have winter... if we could take away January and february up here we'd all be much happier. :)

Mike Lentz
07-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Hi Mike,

Sharna

Thanks Sharna! Hey Minnesota is nice about seven months of the year and then we have winter... if we could take away January and february up here we'd all be much happier. :)

Thanks guys for the re-work and nice comments.