PDA

View Full Version : Datbreak Coreopsis

Mike Lentz
06-30-2008, 08:22 AM
I thought I'd try something different and include the sun in this image. I took it with the sun completely covered by the flower as well, but liked this far better. Thoughts? I can post that other image if anybody wants to compare.

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/99436607.jpg

Nikon D300 ~ Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D AF (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/24-85_28d) (macro mode)
ISO 200 (breezy day) ~ F/9 ~ 1/2500 sec ~

Julie Kenward
06-30-2008, 01:19 PM
I've come back to this photo twice now...I like it, I don't like it, I like it again. I think the whiteness of the sun is what's bothering me a little bit even though you did a great job of not making it a white hot circle of nothing and it obviously made the colors pop right off the screen. I find myself wanting to squint when I view it each time and I think maybe that's a bit of a drawback. Your composition and DOF are wonderful and the colors are gorgeous. I wouldn't mind seeing the other photo where the sun was hidden just to compare.

Robert Amoruso
06-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Cool idea Mike and I like how this looks. DOF is great. I think it would be stronger with the sun more to the right.

Love the blue sky and looking up.

Mike Lentz
06-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Julie, I hear ya... If you think your squinting you should have seen me looking right into the sun to capture the image. :D I just wanted to do something different from what I've seen others do is all... here is the other image... I noticed in PP that my blues don't match up.... I'm sure thats because I was pulling back down on the brightness more on the top image.

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/99430941.jpg

Robert, I actually do have one where the sun is to the right... I'll PP that one and post as well. We'll get to the bottom of which one is best and why people feel that way. Thanks!! :D

Alfred Forns
06-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Love Jules idea and the repost Mike !!! btw for the original idea you had stopping down to f 22 would have made a difference Sometimes the sunburst effect will allow to have the high key area without much problem !!!!

btw gorgeous texture on the green stalk !!!

Mike Lentz
06-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Sometimes the sunburst effect will allow to have the high key area without much problem !!!!
DANG!! I know that and spaced it! Now I have to go back! Thanks, AL!

Bill Whitney
06-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Mike...nicely concieved and executed image. I agree with moving the sun a bit to the right...for some reason I "want" the sun to be inline with the stem. This would put the two elements in a diagonal flow. Look forward to the image with the sun more to the right.

Mike Lentz
06-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Mike...nicely concieved and executed image. I agree with moving the sun a bit to the right...for some reason I "want" the sun to be inline with the stem. This would put the two elements in a diagonal flow. Look forward to the image with the sun more to the right.

Heres the one I was talking about.... ahhhh where's F/22 when ya need it? :D

http://www.pbase.com/image/99492412.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
06-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey Mike,
You know.........i like the original! i saw this earlier but didn't get a chance to comment. While I agree that the suggestions above will work (especially f22).......and the sun may have been better to the right.........The flower position in the first is stronger (minus the clipped petal on left). The angle yo chose is making me feel part of the image..........that's what i like best in the original!

Bruce Murden
07-02-2008, 03:30 PM
I like the third comp, but the flash (or really strong reflector!) on the flower seems a bit obvious, which takes it down a notch for me. The first is okay, with good coloration, and I htink it may be a decent square (or nearly square) comp, or if it had been a vert with the whole sun in the frame (f/22 or smaller ap, of course). But my fav is number 2, with the best coloration. You should have just convinced the petal at upper left to tuck back into the flower instead of sneaking off frame.

Great flower and angle, and great job working the view.