PDA

View Full Version : Breeding plumage Pacific Loon - in California!

Dorian Anderson
05-03-2019, 01:40 AM
I see thousands of these each winter as they winter off the CA coast in huge numbers, but this individual represents an incredibly rare find on two counts. First he's molted into full breed plumage before reaching the Arctic, and, second, he managed to find his way into an incredibly accessible golf course pond in Half Moon Bay. I would have bet my life I would have needed to go to Alaska to get this frame. Hella stoked to say the least!

Gotta be one of the most beautiful birds on the continent in this breeding garb.

Yeah, he's a bit close to the left edge. But if you're gonna have a too-short side, that where to have it! The long and low birds are tough that way!

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II on EOS 1DX Mark II
1/2000 at f/7.1, ISO 640, handheld on stomach
Processed in LR CC. Did a bit of local work on extreme lights and darks given the high contrast nature of this species.

Randy Stout
05-03-2019, 05:52 AM
Dorian:

Congrats on your find. Did you have your camera in your golf bag?

Nice job on the exposure. Loons can be a real challenge in anything but the softest light.

Great shooting angle , sharp, nice head turn.

Well captured!

Cheers

Randy

David Roach
05-03-2019, 06:49 AM
You took full advantage. Preparation for sure met opportunity. TFS

Bill Dix
05-03-2019, 08:22 AM
Congratulations on both the find and the capture. Well done. Beautiful bird.

dankearl
05-03-2019, 09:01 AM
Outstanding... a real treat. Exposure pretty much perfect.

John Mack
05-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Very nice. Bird gave you a nice head turn. Like the low angle and the dark green water.

Jack Backs
05-03-2019, 05:18 PM
What's not to like. Good detail in both light and dark areas.

Daniel Cadieux
05-03-2019, 07:41 PM
What a fantastic opportunity for you! Quite a sleek looking loon, you must have been thrilled. Awesome details, good low angle. There is enough space at left for me - well balanced comp. Oh, and perfect head angle!

gail bisson
05-04-2019, 01:59 PM
This is good Dorian.
Perfect head turn , nice low POV and the whites on the breast are not blown (something so easy to do with these birds).
Lucky you! Even luckier the golf course lets you on the property if you are not golfing.
Gail

Doug Brown
05-04-2019, 03:10 PM
A real stunner Dorian! I might lower the bird in the frame a little. Easy enough to add a bit of canvas on the right if you're so inclined.