PDA

View Full Version : Begging

Emory Moody
06-30-2008, 07:19 AM
The Georgia Department of Natural Resources has a wildlife managment area just below Darien, Georgia. I have been spending the past couple of week-ends going down to photograph the nesting birds. The Tri-colored Herons, Snowy Egret, and Glossy Ibis chicks are almost ready to leave the nest. Yesterday morning I was able to capture this image of a Snowy chick begging for food.

Nikon D300
Nikkon 600mm
1/1250 sec
F6.3

Axel Hildebrandt
06-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Great interaction and behavior. I would clone out the branch on the right where we can only see the feet of another bird and give it more room, especially at the bottom because the foot is clipped. Thanks for sharing!

Julie Kenward
06-30-2008, 08:18 AM
I totally agree with Axel. Make those two changes and you've got a real keeper. You did a great job on exposing those whites!

Arthur Morris
06-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Wow, a really tough image to frame and almost done perfectly... I suspect that Emory does not have the feet in this frame. Emory, do you have any others in the sequence with the feet? (This one is worth repairing!)

The head angles and relative postitions of the birds are perfect!

Emory Moody
06-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Yes I do have more of the sequence of these two. The next shot in the sequence shows the chick getting fed and does have the foot included. I liked the wing spread better in the posted shot, but there should be no problem transfering the foot from the other image.
If anyone is going to be in the Savannah or Brunswick area over the 4th they really ought to check out the refuge. The action should still be pretty good over the 4th, but most of the Snowy and Tri-colored chicks are about ready to leave the nest now. There are a few Glossy Ibis that will be there a little longer and also a couple of Cattle Egret.
If anyone wants directions to the reserve let me know and I can email directions

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Beautiful timing and superb action and exposure. Definitely worth working on.

Arthur Morris
07-02-2008, 04:34 AM
Hey Emory, I would love to see a repost with the feet as it is such a lovely and unclutttered image.