PDA

View Full Version : Ruby-throated Hummingbird, male

Allen Sparks
04-26-2019, 04:25 AM
Over the winter I bought the hummingbird guide from the BAA store here. Now that the hummingbirds have arrived again in Tennessee, I am trying a five flash set up. Here is one of my first attempts. Bird attracted by flower dipped in sugar water. I took out some of the flash highlights on the eye and removed some highlights on the flower. I used 1/8 power on the flashes to produce a slight amount of blur in the wings. Any comments appreciated.

Canon 7D2, Canon 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x TC III, tripod, 5 speedlites @ 1/8 power
ISO 200, f20, 1/250s

Arthur Morris
04-26-2019, 08:21 AM
Very nicely done. I especially like the gorget. And the wing position is great, How much patience did you need?

Thanks for the plug. Folks can check out Linda Robbin's great guide here (http://birdsasart-shop.com/hummingbird-guide-cd/).

with love, artie

dankearl
04-26-2019, 09:41 AM
Nice, Allen.
The flower and BG look great, I think you could brighten up the Hummer a bit.

Daniel Cadieux
04-26-2019, 11:08 AM
That is a beauty alright! Good pose, BG, flower. Maybe a bit dark, but not by too much. Did you have many dust bunnies to remove at f/20?

Dorian Anderson
04-26-2019, 04:17 PM
Yeah, the really slight amount of blur is perfect. If the wings are perfect it looks too artificial. Pose and head angle are perfect. I agree that you could brighten the whole frame a bit to make it pop a bit more. You look to have plenty of headroom to ad more light.

annmpacheco
04-26-2019, 04:20 PM
Thats quite a learning curve and you are producing quality captures, well done. Yes increase exposure, would also like to see the fanned tail w details. Keep em coming.

John Mack
04-26-2019, 06:49 PM
Pretty nice frame here. Like the flower,pose and background.

Allen Sparks
04-27-2019, 07:25 AM
Thank you for the comments everyone! I’ll see about brightening it up some.
Artie, this male would visit every twenty minutes or so but it took quite a while to get a favorable wing position.
Daniel, fortunately my sensor is pretty clean - only a couple of dust spots to remove.

Allen Sparks
04-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Here's a repost of a brighter image...