PDA

View Full Version : Another Puffin with Sandeels...

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-30-2008, 03:36 AM
Hi Everyone!
This is my first post on the 'grown-up' forum as I am usually to be found on ETL :eek:. However I am reading with great interest the thread on Melvin's puffin and wondered if you would like to comment on my version and camera settings. I was at Skomer the other day, and the weather was truly terrible - ah.. the joys of a British summer day...
I used my on-camera flash, (the only one that I have), which was a first for me, in order to keep my shutter speed a little higher, but despite the non-existent light I still managed to burn out the highlights on the sandeels and the puffin's breast...:o
My camera settings were as follows:
Canon 40D 100-400 @400mm
ISO 400
AV mode F8 1/200 sec
0 exp comp
On-camera flash
My PP abilities are very rudimentary - I use PS elements 6. I have cropped, sharpened, make a very slight adjustment in curves and attempted to burn the blown - out highlights on the sandeels.
What should my camera settings have been taking into consideration the terrible light??
Look forward to your comments,
Regards,
Nicki
:):)

PS I only got my first DSLR 9 months ago so I have very little idea of what I am doing as yet!!

Hi All - I hope that this will work this time - third time lucky!!!
Best to all,
Nicki

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-30-2008, 03:45 AM
:o I can't seem to upload my image. I think that I have resized it correctly - I did the same as for theETL forum - sorry!

John Chardine
06-30-2008, 05:56 AM
Nicki- What specific problem are you having uploading? Are you getting a message from BPN about the size of the image? Would be nice to see what you have.

Alfred Forns
06-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Hi Nicki le me know if yo need help with this one?
Are you getting an error message? Standing by !!!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi Folks!!
I'm trying this again...I haven't had any error messages from BPN - I think that the problem may be at my end as we are having severe problems with our internet service at the moment - the wonders of modern technology...
Here's hoping..
Regards and many thanks to all,
Nicki

OOPs...I'll just have to try again later - I might try sending a smaller file - talk to you later!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Make sure the file doesn't exceed 195kB and 800 pixels on the longest side. You can go to your original post, click on edit / go advanced and then attach the image. Before posting click on "preview post" to make sure the image is attached.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-30-2008, 05:29 PM
I just merged your posts so the thumbnail would show. Great portrait with all these sandeels. I would give it more room and run NR on the BG. Keep them coming!

John Chardine
06-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Great portrait of one of my favourite birds and their food. There is some noise in the darker areas of the image and there's a magenta cast. Both of these issues could be removed in post-processing. A little more room at the top would be nice.

Well done to capture this as in my experience they dart down a burrow just after you frame them up.

carole wiley
07-01-2008, 09:08 AM
As much as I love bird colse ups, probably because they are so hard for me to come by, I think I would like a bit more room for this bird. NR would help too. Over all I think you did a good job with the exposure and comp. Love that you got the fish.