PDA

View Full Version : Some kind of weevil

Duke Beattie
06-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Not sure which brand of weevil (there are only 60,000 species) this is........ or flower for that matter:) The city (Pullman, WA) is using weevils to control Canadian Thistle, but I'm not sure what kind.
http://www.pbase.com/dcbeattie/image/98592010/large.jpg
Canon 1dsmkiii
Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro
f22 1/250
ISO 100
Ringflash....

Robert Amoruso
06-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi Duke,

Welcome to BPN.

I like the image and the composition. The bug sitting in the flower. The one OOF petal in the FG is a bit distracting.

The image is a bit flat and lacing contrast. I reposted below. Did a levels adjustment and pulled the highlight slider down to open up the highlights and tonal range. Then did a Curves Adjustment with a medium strength S-Curve to increase contrast. I sharpened with USM at 200/0.4/0.
Work done in PSCS3

Alfred Forns
06-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Big Welcome Duke !!!

Love your image Excellent composition and bug placement !!! Only the green oof front element bothers me !! Particularly like how you place the bud toward the corner !!

Repost looks just perfect !!! On fine job Robert !!!

Roman Kurywczak
06-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey Duke,
Agree with the OOF stamen.......but not much you could do about it. Agree that Robert's repost definitely brought out the weevil. i might trim it down a bit top and left for my tastes.........but that is very subjective. Nice capture of this small guy!

Duke Beattie
06-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey thanks for the comments...... Gives me something to work and play with..... I have been playing with the contrast and the color on this .. trying to get the right color on the bug..... he really is a very red color.. as far as the oof bits.... well .. it was about the best I could get without doing a lot of cleanup on site.. and disturbing the bug.... for the most part I am happy with the basic shot.... I have another shot the same species and a different view... I guess I will have to post it also.... again thanks for the comments......