PDA

View Full Version : My 1st BIF across whole frame

Eric Chi
06-30-2008, 12:26 AM
After getting many tips from the equipment forum about shooting BIF with my new Nikon D300, I went to Bayland park in Palo Alto today to try out these settings on seagull. For the first time ever, I can shoot some whole frame BIFs! Thanks very much for those who shared their tips.

I'd like to share with you this image. Your suggestions certainly welcome!

Image shoot with Nikon D300 with Nikon 300 f4 AFS+Nikon 1.4 TCII.

Eric.

Lance Peters
06-30-2008, 02:42 AM
Hi Eric - congrats on the new equipment. Love the BG. Nice start.

Please dont take this the wrong way - but you have cut the poor fellows wing tips off.
In AL'S Words - If its important enough to be in the photo - it should be ALL in the photo.

Just need to back it out a bit and get the whole bird inthe frame.

Keep them comimg :)

Alfred Forns
06-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself Lance :D

Glad you are after BIF Eric !!! Lots of fun and endless possibilities !!! I like the grey bg and eye contact Would like seeing more of the under wing but you would need a different pose. Would take someone with you to toss bread and get them hovering. Will get many chances. btw here the exposure seem fine but the contrast range is just great.

btw this pose is close (not there) to the infamous photographing a flying bird from the side with level wings .... Artie would say "its like photographing a pancake from the side !!!!!!

Oscar Zangroniz
06-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Great capture Eric, excellent backgroud. The wing tips and the shadow underneath the wings are the only thing i see that can be improved.
Congrats and keep them coming.
Regards,

Eric Chi
07-01-2008, 02:14 AM
Lance, Alfred, and Oscar,

Thx very much for your great suggestions.

Eric.