PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow bee-eater

greg cowle
04-18-2019, 05:32 AM
Juvenile rainbow bee-eater on the hunt. Quite close to me so not enough DOF for the wings, probably also some motion blur, but sharp on the body, and I like the pose as he turns towards me.
420mm, 1/3200, f6.3, ISO1000.

Randy Stout
04-18-2019, 06:59 AM
Greg"

Agree with your assessment . The head angle, wing spread, exposure, all good.
From a compositional standpoint, I might be tempted to try a bit off the left, with corresponding amount off the right. I wouldn't be afraid to go a bit more square, so the wings are working one diagonal of the frame, and the body/ head line works the other. Personal taste really.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
04-18-2019, 08:35 AM
Lovely flight shot, with open bill and perfect head turn. I don't mind the motion-blurred wings. I'm OK with the comp but Randy's suggestion sounds like it's worth a try as an alternate. I might use a low opacity brush to soften or remove the whitish blob to the right of the bird.

David Roach
04-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Love the pose, super sharp eye, colors, BG and composition. Congrats. TFS

John Mack
04-18-2019, 05:37 PM
Nice to see the dorsal view of this one. Nice green background. Love the colors on these guys.

gail bisson
04-19-2019, 06:38 AM
Hi Greg,
I saw the road sign to Wonga Beach when we were in FNQ! I wish I had known you lived there. It would have been fun to meet up.
Lovely bee-eater and your self critique is spot on.
Love that clean BG and wing spread.
If mine, I would do another round of NR and smooth out the yellow stalk on the RHS of the bird.
Very nice and would love to have this in my files,
Gail

greg cowle
04-20-2019, 04:49 AM
Thanks all for the comments, appreciated. I have attached a square crop per Randy's suggestion, I think it does work nicely. Didn't adjust the background, just did the crop. This is shot over a cow paddock with quite long grass, the white blob I think is just a stalk.
Gail: this was a few mile from Wonga Beach, in Upper Daintree.

David Roach
04-20-2019, 07:35 AM
Thanks all for the comments, appreciated. I have attached a square crop per Randy's suggestion, I think it does work nicely. Didn't adjust the background, just did the crop. This is shot over a cow paddock with quite long grass, the white blob I think is just a stalk.
Gail: this was a few mile from Wonga Beach, in Upper Daintree.

Yep, this crop improves the image for me. And an awesome image it is. TFS

Alex Becker
04-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Late to the party but this is a real beauty. I love small birds in flight, and this is a real winner of a shot. Nice BG, details, pose, and colors. TFS