PDA

View Full Version : Pie-billed Grebe

John Mack
04-15-2019, 06:30 PM
This image was created at Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge in Tyre, New York on 4/7/19 at 10:05AM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Big crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
600mm
ISO 3200
f6.3
1/2500sec

David Roach
04-15-2019, 06:47 PM
First congrats on both eyes. I seriously love this canvas. I realize what is sooo unique and wonderful about this image to me. You know how you always have OOF FG, in focus plane surrounding subject(has always slightly bothered me but inevitable with how focus works), then OOF BG. This is the first image I have ever seen, which some how reduces that effect and I love it. That water surrounding bird and prey takes this over the top for me. TFS

Randy Stout
04-15-2019, 07:12 PM
John:

Well exposed, nice catch. Background with enough detail to add interest.

My first reaction was that the bird is too small in the frame, but with the big crop already, I don't think it will stand up to anymore cropping.

I might consider darkening the pupil a bit on the bird, to help with the apparent sharpness. Perhaps do another pass of sharpening on the fishes face, since our eye is drawn to it.

Cheers

Randy

Paul Burdett
04-15-2019, 10:15 PM
Hi John. Love the refection and fish. Lots of FFD and the bird contrasts nicely with the BG. If it were mine I'd clone out the water bubble on the right. Cheers.

William Dickson
04-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Looking good John...Very nice detail, I also thought the bird looked a wee bit small in frame, but the longer I looked, the beautiful BG makes up for it.

Will