PDA

View Full Version : Lear's (Indigo) Macaws in flight

Ivan Sjogren
04-15-2019, 05:55 AM
This is one from a trip to NE Brazil earlier this year. The Lear's Macaws are one of the rarest parrots in the world and is severely restricted to two populations in a range of canyons going through two states. They nest in fissure in cliffs, seen in the background here. Witnessing this protected area together with some friends was a mind-blowing experience. Not often you get to see something of this scale in nature. In early morning the parrots walk out of their nesting holes (sometimes up to several meters in height inside, like a small room in the mountain) and start vocalizing. When the sun hits the wall, they fly out to feed. These cliffs have a special reddish color which is even more in the exaggerated morning sun. I was happy with this shot of a pair, the top with some food in the beak. Let me know if you find the dark line distracting. All comments welcome of course!

Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 500mm f/4.0 L IS USM II | ISO 800 | f/5.6 | 1/2000s

David Roach
04-15-2019, 06:42 AM
Fantastic up and down stroke with awesome BG. Not to mention the color and details on the birds. TFS

Joseph Przybyla
04-15-2019, 07:05 AM
Wonderful to capture two with perfect wing positions. Beautiful birds, nicely shown. Thank you for sharing, Ivan.

David Cowling
04-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Great image. Just about the perfect flight angle and wing strokes. The beautiful colour of the birds shows well against the darker background.

Bill Dix
04-15-2019, 08:22 AM
Wonderful to get both up and down strokes in a good flight angle. Lovely colors on the wings. The dark stripes on the cliff give it some texture, which for me is a good thing.

Randy Stout
04-15-2019, 09:04 AM
Ivan:

Lovely in all regards. Challenging shot to pull off with two birds in flight together , both sharp, same plane of focus, complimentary colors. Nice to be able to see parts of both wings on each bird.

Outstanding.

Cheers

Randy

dankearl
04-15-2019, 09:30 AM
The line adds to it for me, gives depth.. Birds look great.

annmpacheco
04-15-2019, 05:45 PM
Hello Ivan, Wonderful capture and it warms my heart to see these critically endangered Macaws photographed beautifully. Excellent positioning, sharp, and the nest ing habitat. Please enjoy this video of a dear friend of mine named Pedro Lima. He is one of my avian heroes and started the protection of this population years ago. When were you there?

https://youtu.be/K6uvSuNWMa4

John Mack
04-15-2019, 06:52 PM
Very nice. Like the different poses on the bird with the up wing and down wing position. The color on the birds is pretty sweet.

Ivan Sjogren
04-16-2019, 02:42 AM
Hello Ivan, Wonderful capture and it warms my heart to see these critically endangered Macaws photographed beautifully. Excellent positioning, sharp, and the nest ing habitat. Please enjoy this video of a dear friend of mine named Pedro Lima. He is one of my avian heroes and started the protection of this population years ago. When were you there?

Hi Ann, Thank you very much for your comment and the video. It tells almost the exact same story I experienced this year. I did not meet Pedro Lima though, but it seems to have been filmed in the same place as I visited. The protection of these birds is going quite well but it is a hard and armed struggle against poachers. The area isn't really a nature reserve either as the government or the state doesn't sponsor it yet, which makes it vulnerable. I really look up to the people working to protect these birds. I was there in the beginning of February this year.

Chris van Rooyen
04-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Magnificent frame, getting both in focus is exceptional. Agree with all the positives above.

Tim Foltz
04-17-2019, 04:50 PM
Ivan, nice catch with both the up and down stroke, BG works good with the colors of the birds, nice details also.

-Tim