PDA

View Full Version : Western Grebe with Catch

Tim Foltz
04-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Canon 1DMKIII • 500 mm • 1/2000 • f/5.6 • ISO 320 • handheld • manual

Another from the wetlands, unfortunately this was taken from a footbridge so it was impossible to get a lower angle.

Thanks for looking.

-Tim

Randy Stout
04-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Tim:

Nice catch for both of you. Extra points for eye contact with the fish. Well exposed, like the flying drops,
Perhaps just a bit tight on the left side.

Cheers

Randy

John Mack
04-10-2019, 05:56 PM
Nice fish angle and head angle on the grebe. Details look nice. The crop is nice more room behing the bird would be nice.

Jonathan Ashton
04-11-2019, 02:07 AM
Tim this is a super shot, perhaps just a little large in the frame. Exposure and colours looks great and the fish withe water droplets makes for a really fine shot.
You have my sympathy and shared frustration for the angle, the place I go to has a small low bridge and most of the grebe activity is around there including one completely unobstructed nest. The grebes are weed dancing and displaying, shooting from the side of the lake you get the angle and depending upon the time of day good light but at this point they tend to be close to the bridge or centrally positioned and even 1000mm lens combo requires significant cropping. It is unfortunate that the best shots are available from the bridge but the elevated angle doesn't help. Where possible if I have to shoot from the bridge I use a long combo and try to get as low on the wall as possible and take images that are not quite so close the bridge so the angle is as shallow as possible.

Daniel Cadieux
04-11-2019, 06:39 PM
It looks good despite the higher vantage point. I love the fish and that it is facing the "correct" way. The main issue is the subject being rather large in the frame.