PDA

View Full Version : Michigan wood duck drake - showing off for the ladies

Randy Stout
04-10-2019, 07:43 AM
This handsome fellow was captured yesterday due to the kind invitation of my friend Roy Van Loo. He has worked a local vernal pond for a number of years, and it has provided the best wood duck opportunities I have found in Michigan. I used to go to the North Chagrin metro park near Cleveland, Ohio, but changes in management there have really degraded that venue.

Nikon D500. 500mm f/4 , ISO 280, 1/800s
Sitting in my sled blind that I towed to the spot that morning.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

kevin Hice
04-10-2019, 08:39 AM
This is real nice randy. Nice details and colors look great. TFS

dankearl
04-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Nice light and nice angle....
Water drops on the duck are a big plus...

John Mack
04-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Nice view of this woodie. The low angle is nice. Great color on the duck. Nice and sharp.

dankearl
04-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Randy,
Just noticed your settings with the D500 and you are shooting auto iso it appears.
I am doing the same as it seems to work well with this camera (did not do well with previous Nikons, iMO).
This is a PERFECTLY exposed Wood Duck, I see dozens everyday up close at my pond.
You held the whites (right on edge at the neck)
and have detail in the blacks.
Did you adjust the auto iso up or down?

Randy Stout
04-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Dan:

I wish the woodies would come close on other ponds and lakes, but this is the only place where I have been able to get in so tight.

You are right about the challenges of exposing these guys well. Fairly harsh light, but the sensor did a good job re: dynamic range. Whites on neck are in the 225-230 range, so pretty happy with them.

Yes Auto ISO. Haven't used in the past, but as you say, seems to work well with this camera.

Thanks Dan

Randy

Joseph Przybyla
04-11-2019, 07:14 AM
I cannot see how you could improve this image. Nothing more to say, thank you for sharing.

Bill Dix
04-11-2019, 11:27 AM
Great shot with good POV and perfect HA. Nicely exposed; I've experimented with AutoISO on the same kit, but often forget to use it (and have lost some shots by misjudging manual settings in changing light). I'll have to give it some more attention. Sorry to hear about North Chagrin -- I've had it on my wish list for awhile.