PDA

View Full Version : Grey heron (Ardea cinerea)

Jonathan Ashton
04-09-2019, 03:33 AM
Canon 5D IV Canon 500mm f4 LIS II + 2xTC III
Auto ISO 1/1250 sec f8 (Must have knocked the Lock setting I did have a faster speed set initially)
Image taken 09.21hr.

After waiting three hours this was the closest thing I got to action. The adult on the nest stood up and preened, the chicks are getting bigger but nothing interesting (feeding) going on.

Steve Kaluski
04-09-2019, 04:12 AM
Hi Jon, they always look very ungainly these birds and scruffy in their appearance too, but quite good subject to photograph I think.

The light appears to be getting a fraction harsh, but I think it just looks a bit bright overall, pulling it back does bring more detail, especially when you target the brighter elements. I like the fact you have the wings beginning to stretch out showing of the layering plumage. Probably the colours of the vegetation look right, but tweaking it may offer better standout? Looks also like some heat haze may also be creeping in at the top? None of the Hl's are blown, so you do have data to play with if you want. I'll pop a thought over.

TFS
Steve

John Mack
04-09-2019, 06:27 PM
Like the wings raised and the pose. Looks as if the bird is walking along the bush. Composition works well.

Dorian Anderson
04-09-2019, 07:59 PM
Raised wings and lighting are quite nice, but the frame is very busy. Focus on the face looks good but doesn't extend through the bird as most evident by the lack of detail on the feet.