PDA

View Full Version : Common Pochard

Ivan Sjogren
04-07-2019, 12:28 PM
This is a male Common Pochard, a species considered “vulnerable” by IBC Lynx. It has a very big distribution though but requires quite special swampy lakes near good forests. It looks very similar to the Canvasback in North America but the blue patch on the bill and the general shape is quite different. It's a very difficult bird to get close too and that is in a part of the world where ducks in general are quite hard to photograph.

I found a lake near my hometown some years ago where I got opportunities I could only dream off before. Since then I visited this place each spring when these guys arrive back to their breeding grounds. I scouted the place last week to see if the birds had arrived, they had! I also walked round the whole lake planning where to set up my hide.
Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day, so I decided that it was time to go for it. I was quite happy with this shot when the group swam by in the last light. That red eye in direct sunlight is to die for!

All comments and suggestions welcome!

Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 500mm f/4.0 L USM IS II | ISO 800 | 1/5000s | f/5.6

John Mack
04-07-2019, 01:45 PM
Nice low angle with a nice pose and detail on the duck. Looks just like a canvas back.

Joseph Przybyla
04-07-2019, 02:32 PM
Lovely image, I don't know how you could do better. Thank you for sharing, Ivan.

David Roach
04-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Pretty much perfect to my eye. TFS

Randy Stout
04-07-2019, 05:29 PM
Ivan:

Lovely capture, good shooting angle, light, head angle of bird, exposure, soft background
To me it looks like our canvas back, with a bit of red head duck thrown in.

Cheers

Randy

arash_hazeghi
04-07-2019, 11:34 PM
very nice Ivan, you checked low angle, calm water and nice light

TFS

Arthur Morris
04-08-2019, 03:56 AM
Beautiful for all the reasons noted above (including yours!) I love the curious head-raised pose. And of course, the great light.

with love, artie

Jonathan Ashton
04-08-2019, 11:08 AM
A beautiful image Ivan, well worth waiting for, the details and colours are portrayed wonderfully.

annmpacheco
04-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Hello Ivan, super nice, love the detail and the colors here. The look of the duck is wonderful, well done.