PDA

View Full Version : Theme Rarest shorebird in world, BLACK STILT (NZ Endemic)

Dorian Anderson
04-04-2019, 05:33 PM
Shorebird theme couldn't have come at a better time!

With ~135 individuals remaining, the Black Stilt is the rarest shorebird in the world. All individuals are banded, and there is a management program in place to
rotate the adults between different areas and mates to maintain genetic diversity in the tiny population. This species evolved in the absence of land mammals
and had been decimated - like many of NZ's birds - by the human-aided introductions of stoats, possums, rats, and other predators to the island nation.

This was one of the most incredible photographic mornings of my life. I simply cannot imagine a more wonderful place to photograph such a special bird. I shot
this bird in the Tasman Delta in NZ's Mackenzie Valley below Mount Cook. I have attached a photo to show you the scene (taken the same morning). Field
photography, particularly in new areas, is really tough but presents rewards no set-up or more controlled shooting situation can replicate - ever.

This shot was taken kneeling in waist deep glacial water. It was cold but let me shoot back towards the hillsides and obtain the golden water. I would like to a bit more
space around the bird, particularly above, but resisted temptation to add canvas becuase I'd rather have an imperfect but unmanipulated frame than a slightly improved
but heavily manipulated one.

If you are interested in birding in New Zealand, I've penned two entries on my blog about my experience in the country. Two more will be coming in the near future.

http://thespeckledhatchback.blogspot.com/2019/03/post-154-birdwatching-in-new-zealand.html

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II on EOS 1DX Mark II
1/2500 at f/5.6, ISO 800
Processed in LR CC without trickery. Cloned out a few distracting elements on the water and round the grass.

Dorian Anderson
04-04-2019, 05:35 PM
The scene. A VERY rare attempt at landscape from me.........

Canon 17-40 on EOS 5D Mark IV
1/500 at f/11, ISO 800

John Mack
04-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Never heard of the bird until now doesn't suprise me. The pose is nice. Like the low angle and the background. New Zealand didn't have any predators until the newer one were introduced? Glad you had fun.

Krishna Prasad kotti
04-04-2019, 06:30 PM
Love the eye water colors and eye colors.

Raise foot also make it interesting

I would have dodge the part of the legs.

Point of view is excellent.

TFS

Bill Dix
04-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Congratulations! More than just a record shot, its a fine image with good pose, comp and habitat. Yes to a bit of burning of the legs, but I understand the desire to limit the manipulation.

Raybel Robles
04-05-2019, 09:59 AM
Superb photo, love it! the low angle, clean BG, colors, the wet grass and superb details through out.

I also love to see photos that show the scene where the photo was taken! well done.

Daniel Cadieux
04-05-2019, 11:06 AM
What a treat to see this rare bird, and thanks for sharing it (and your experience) with us! Perfect eye-level perspective, great BG, and just enough water showing below. Yes, the legs seem a touch bright to me as well therefore a bit of burn (not dodge) would likely help there. The greenish sheen on the plumage is pretty neat.

Kamal Hari Menon
04-05-2019, 11:55 AM
This is amazing.. thanks for sharing the exciting experience..

Chris van Rooyen
04-06-2019, 10:06 AM
Thanks for sharing the experience, top notch image as well. I agree with slight dodging on the legs.

annmpacheco
04-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Aghree with the dodging and what a very special image, cool Dorian, what a bird and experience for you.

dankearl
04-06-2019, 09:06 PM
Awesome in every way...

Arthur Morris
04-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Your over-the-top effort paid off quite handsomely. And to think I was gonna ask how you got so low to that stream ...

with love, artie