PDA

View Full Version : Grey Wagtail (Motacilla cinerea)

Jonathan Ashton
04-03-2019, 06:19 AM
Tripod Canon 5D IV Canon 500mm f4 L IS II + 1.4TC III
Auto ISO 1250 +0.3, 1/2000 sec f8

ACR + PSCC

Whilst photographing great crested grebes I noticed a pair of grey wagtails who were busy feeding on whatever little critters they could find around the water's edge. You have to be quick to get these little birds they never in one place for more than a few seconds.
I could have enhanced the water features a little but as I do the drawback is that there will be undesirable ghosts of shadows from overhanging twigs and branches.

Thank you to everyone who commented upon my previous post.

Bill Dix
04-03-2019, 08:32 AM
Lovely comp, and great action captured. Good POV and HA.

Steve Kaluski
04-03-2019, 09:06 AM
Hi Jon, I do like the shooting angle and as Bill said, good action captured. Some may feel not having the feet is an issue, but here for me you either get the shot or not. I might remove the small blemish in the bottom RHC, not sure is by moving the whole frame down a fraction it helps the framing, so you have a little less above, but more below? Any idea on the bug? :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
04-03-2019, 10:21 AM
Thanks Bill + Steve, the main reason for the above crop was to include the reflection, I don't suppose it really matters if it was incomplete. I have five different images with different larvae too but all have the feet in water or behind the rock - or both. I think the larvae will be moth caterpillars.

Arthur Morris
04-03-2019, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I would not mind seeing the feet on top of the rock but this is still an excellent image from where I sit. HA is perfect and I love the way the whole reflection is in the frame.

with love, artie

John Mack
04-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Nice you caught the prey in mid air grab. Like the view of the tongue as well. Neat setting with the bird on the rocks in water.

Tim Foltz
04-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Jonathan, sweet muted colors, nice details and the little prey item is a plus.

-Tim

David Roach
04-04-2019, 03:25 AM
All has been said... Perfection, right down to the timing... TFS

Dorian Anderson
04-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Feet or not, this is a very strong image. The angle, lighting, details, and action are all spot on. Would have loved to have the tail in focus, but that's about it.