PDA

View Full Version : Star

Todd Frost
06-29-2008, 07:38 PM
This is one of "Rosies" cubs from spring (Yellowstone, near Tower Falls). She had a chocolate and this black. They were attacked by what has been described as the largest black bear boar one of the rangers has seen and this cub was killed by the boar. This all happened after I left the park. Mom and other cub are doing fine as of now.
D300, 80-400vr @400, f5.6, 1/200, iso720, +2/3 ec.
Comments and critiques always appreciated.
Thanks for looking,
Todd

Roman Kurywczak
06-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey Todd,
Debating this one for a while.........sometimes I'm known to crop too tight............Love the look, environs, and exposure of this one.........I would be tempted to crop a bit all around but especialy off the right to get rid of the greenery...........and proportionally off the top. then a bit off left and bottom to put the cubs eyes squarely in the ROT position. The emphasis would definitely then be on the cub. As this is greatly a personal choice..........I really like this capture as presented and am bummed to hear of this little guys demise. Many times I'm glad to be a "landscape" guy.........but this is life in the wild.

Alfred Forns
06-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi Todd Sorry to hear about the little guy !!!

I like the image as presented since it shows a bit of the environment I like the bear placement in frame having the right amount of room to all sides Appealing and beautiful !!! Love this image !!

Robert Amoruso
06-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Todd,

I like the composition too. I feel the contrast is too high and did a reverse s-curve adjustment to it. I pulled the 3/4 point on the curve down and over and the 1/4 point up and over. This reduces the contrast but makes the image a appear a bit flat. So do a selective color adjustment and add 10% to the black and neutral to increase the inherent contrast in the mid-tones.

D. Robert Franz
06-30-2008, 07:46 AM
A fine image as captured for sure. The processing suggestions by Robert are excellent and help... We took a lot of photos of these cubs this spring aa well.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi Todd,
I like this image. I would have tried to move the bear slightly more to the right, so that the tree trunk becomes the right side frame. I agree with Robert's contrast suggestions.