PDA

View Full Version : Barred Owl in Snow

Anthony Barsotti
04-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Here's one from a few weeks back during our last snowfall in Baltimore. Shot with my Canon 1DX and 600mm f/4 IS II at ISO 640, f/4, 1/500sec. Tweaked shadows, exposure, sharpening and NR in Photoshop, about a 60% crop for better composition.

Jonathan Ashton
04-02-2019, 01:36 AM
I lik ethe natural framework to the owl and the owl is clearly delineated against the snowy background. The silky - soft breast feathers look well detailed, I really like this image.

David Roach
04-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Yeah to what Jonathon said. Really love this canvas. TFS

Joseph Przybyla
04-02-2019, 09:42 AM
Nicely done, Tony. I like the image a lot. There are Barred Owls here but not the snow, it certainly adds another dimension. Thank you for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
04-02-2019, 11:29 AM
I love the wintry scene, and good sharpness on the owl. Just enough snow falling. Though placement of the branches: moving to your right to separate the branch from the owl would then have the BG one touching behind the head. I like the comp here. Depending on what was outside the frame taking a few in-camera verticals may have also bee a good idea. Good stuff!

Arthur Morris
04-02-2019, 01:34 PM
Hey Anthony, Thanks a stack for your membership support and welcome. Perfect suggestion by Dan to eliminate the merge of the one branch with the bird's body. Also, consider placing the subject off-center with your horizontal compositions.

with love, artie

Anthony Barsotti
04-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Thanks everyone, glad you liked it! Regarding the branch, I tried for a different composition by moving to the right but then there was a tree to my right that blocked the shot even more. Tried moving up but the other owl was perched pretty close to where I would have moved to and didn’t want to flush it or stress it out. I might try cloning it out again, the problem I had with my first attempt is that if you look closely there’s ice hanging off it that intersects the bird which made cloning a bit trickier than usual. I’ll try a different crop too though with it more off center, thanks for all the helpful feedback!

John Mack
04-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Looks good for the crop. Like the snow and the overall setting.

Dorian Anderson
04-03-2019, 12:26 AM
Very nice winter result with great eye contact and bonus falling snow! Yeah, that stumpy branch is a bummer, but you did what you could in the field to avoid it. You worked with what you had. I think the darks/contrast need a slight bump.