PDA

View Full Version : Cutie says hi...

David Roach
03-30-2019, 09:15 AM
EOS R EF400 DO I 2xtc II F11 1/400 ISO 1600

Isaac Grant
03-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Cute little grebe and details are ok. Your shooting angle is much too steep for me. You really want to be down at water level or close to it. This looks like it is taken from a boardwalk. You have a really strong magenta cast to the shot that has to be fixed. Head looks grainy.

annmpacheco
03-30-2019, 05:14 PM
Agree with the cast and too steep of a shooting angle... I like the grebe loking your way.

John Mack
03-30-2019, 05:31 PM
You must have been close these are pretty small birds. Nice and sharp. Agree about the steep angle.

David Roach
03-30-2019, 09:30 PM
As always, thanks to all for comments and suggestions.
Isaac, thanks especially for your eagle eyes. Yes, I was on a boardwalk but love the look this beauty shot me. I have reduced magenta in DPP (partially color blind so I can't tell for sure). I also found the grain/artifacts in the head was from PS downsize for web. The TIF before downsize looks great. I tried all interpolation methods and picked the least offender bicubic (smooth gradients). Still a little but much less then default automatic. Any better?

Isaac Grant
03-30-2019, 10:55 PM
The color is better but could use a bit more magenta reduced. Head is still a bit grainy. After I have a sharpened jpeg (smart sharpen at 100 and .5), here is what I do for posting to the web. I go to FILE > EXPORT > SAVE FOR WEB (legacy). Then resize and make sure you file size meets the posting requirements. Since we can not post above 600k I save this file at about 520k. Making sure to lower the quality to get me to about that size. I have progressive checked and also embed color profile. I also check convert to srbg. Then I save the file and name it by the file size (but name it whatever you will remember). Then I open the file I just saved. I select the bird again and then I sharpen it again with smart sharpen at about 100 and .5. I know that may seem odd but the files posted to the web are all sharpened twice in this way. You lose a ton of quality when you downsize the files. Then you follow the same steps as above and make sure you are below 600k and then I name that file for instance piedbilledgrebeforweb.jpeg That result should yield you the highest quality image for posting.

Raybel Robles
03-30-2019, 10:55 PM
I agree with the above comments, details are good, but very steep angle and magneta cast needs correction.

David Roach
03-31-2019, 06:49 AM
Thanks again Isaac. I do all processing except sharpen in TIF . It is the resize(I reduce the largest edge to 1600 pixels) that causes the artifacts even before any sharpening. I then sharpen and save as jpg with best quality < 600k. Are you saying you create jpg at largest quality (with save as) before reducing size? And then follow the rest of your instructions.

Isaac Grant
03-31-2019, 10:00 AM
I save my master TIFF unsharpened. Then using I sharpen the full size file and convert to jpeg using save as. Then I take that full size, sharpened and converted jpeg and do the steps as above. So for each file processed I have a RAW file, an unsharpened TIFF, a full res sharpened jpeg, the downsized and resharpened file for web. I delete the downsized and unsharpened version. If you donit this waybyou should not have any artifacts.

David Roach
03-31-2019, 11:00 AM
Thanks again. The big jpg from tif before downsizing but sharpened is incredible in that cheek area detail, the downsize still can't handle all the feather detail in the cheeks. But here's result from your workflow. Also reduced magenta further in dpp.
Thanks so much for all your help.
Peace,
david

Isaac Grant
03-31-2019, 11:39 AM
The bird for sure looks much better. Colors are still not perfect but also better.

Dorian Anderson
03-31-2019, 08:36 PM
Agree with previous comments about color casts and shooting angle. Bird's back looks blue even in repost.