PDA

View Full Version : carrying yellow spears

greg cowle
03-30-2019, 05:25 AM
This is a common bird, which has a lot of attitude. Masked lapwing (Vanellus miles), this is the northern race which has larger wattles and lacks the dark breast band of the southern race. If you approach the area they are feeding they will squark loudly and if you do not go away they will often take off, circle and mock attack while loudly squarking. In breeding season they can be more aggressive.
400mm, 1/4000, F7.1, ISO2500. There was an OOF white pole in the opening between the leaves directly behind the bird which was removed.
The indigenous people describe these birds as "carrying yellow spears" because of the spurs on the wings.

Chris van Rooyen
03-30-2019, 07:15 AM
Nice approach angle, with top notch sharpness. Eye contact is special. I would consider removing the OOF light spot in the top left-hand corner?

annmpacheco
03-30-2019, 12:08 PM
Nice shot Greg! super sharp and i like the clear face and the wattle swinging/flapping. Both spurs to view s nice. I agree w Chris about stamping out the light ULS... I like your BG as well.

John Mack
03-30-2019, 05:30 PM
Very nice flight frame. Neat looking bird. Like the head on angle.

greg cowle
03-30-2019, 10:06 PM
Thanks Chris, Ann and John. I certainly notice that spot now you point it out, agree it should go.

Dorian Anderson
03-31-2019, 08:38 PM
The eye contact is fantastic! This is a really nice frame, the distracting dark BG element cutting through the subject. Bird also feels really low in the frame. I'd like to see a higher and slightly tighter crop.

Arthur Morris
04-02-2019, 01:47 PM
Killer sharp image of an amazing bird. A crop from top left would help achieve several good things ... Sorta like this. I do not mind the face set against the dark ...

with love, artie

greg cowle
04-03-2019, 03:52 AM
Thanks Artie, I was thinking along the same lines. It deals with the position in the frame and eliminates the bright spot. I also think the dark BG around the head helps make the wattles stand out, but we are all entitled to see things differently!