PDA

View Full Version : Wandering Albatross (New Zealand)

Dorian Anderson
03-27-2019, 03:58 PM
Here it is, the world's largest wingspan - nearly 11 feet! These guys are the most amazing fliers!

When not in flight these guys are probably the size of a Labrador Retriever or similarly size dog.

As on my previous pelagic, the light on this trip was really tough. High overcast can be great for land shooting but can be tough on the open ocean since there
is so much light reflecting in every direction. Light birds on grayed-out water backgrounds just don't work. Fortunately, some mostly-direct light cracked through
for a few minutes and let me grab a frame with a bit more contrast. The background is a mix of water and mountains. NZ is great for pelagic birding since you
need only go a few miles from the coast to be into deepwater.

Sadly, there wasn't enough wind to force them into steeper banks on this day. You take what the ocean and weather give you.........

Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS II ON EOS 1DX Mark II
1/5000 at f/5.6, ISO 640
Processed in LR CC without trickery.

David Roach
03-27-2019, 04:25 PM
Simply amazing bird I'd just love to see one day imaged perfectly. Love the mountainous shoreline as BG. TFS

ps
Only way to make this better... Next time from a kayak:w3...

Arthur Morris
03-27-2019, 05:55 PM
Quite nice. I like the backdrop with just the right amount of water below. And the bird ain't bad either ...

with love, artie

John Mack
03-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Sounds like a huge bird. The frame is pretty spot on. Nice dorsal view. The darker background makes the bird stand out nicely.

annmpacheco
03-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Wowsa Dorian, I am reading Carl Safina's book, "Eye of the Albatross" so you pretty much made my day with this awesome shot. Magnificent bird and i like your composition and wing spread, wowsa again!

Dorian Anderson
03-27-2019, 08:00 PM
Wowsa Dorian, I am reading Carl Safina's book, "Eye of the Albatross" so you pretty much made my day with this awesome shot. Magnificent bird and i like your composition and wing spread, wowsa again!

Great book! Read a while back! His 'Song for the Blue Ocean' is also good. So is 'Voyage of the Turtle'. I'm happy to mail you either of those as follow-ups if you want them. They're just collecting dust on my bookshelf now!

annmpacheco
03-27-2019, 08:28 PM
Great book! Read a while back! His 'Song for the Blue Ocean' is also good. So is 'Voyage of the Turtle'. I'm happy to mail you either of those as follow-ups if you want them. They're just collecting dust on my bookshelf now!
Thank you Dorian a kind gesture, I will be in touch when i am ready for the next one or two!

Isaac Grant
03-27-2019, 09:05 PM
Hard to go wrong with a Wandering Albatross! Nice banking pose and love the background. I do wish it was looking at you a bit more but I would be thrilled to just see one of these birds, let alone get a pic like this.

arash_hazeghi
03-27-2019, 10:10 PM
nice top side bank and soft light, I like the BG too. I'd try to get a bit more detail in the dark wing tips, very nice overall

TFS

Chris van Rooyen
03-28-2019, 02:14 AM
Wow! Sharpness, composition, background, light are all top notch. What a nice opportunity well executed! Maybe a little more detail in the darks would have been nice?

greg cowle
03-28-2019, 04:37 AM
Great bird, perfectly framed with enough background for context.

Joseph Przybyla
03-28-2019, 06:53 AM
Hi Dorian, ditto all the previous comments. Lovely image, thank you for sharing.

dankearl
03-28-2019, 07:05 PM
Very nice Dorian, the light is nice and what a bird!!!