PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Burrowing Owl

Isaac Grant
03-27-2019, 09:29 AM
Posting one for the monthly theme. This Burrowing Owl was photographed at sunset near Phoenix, Arizona. From last year when on my incredibly productive trip with Mr. Owl Whisperer, Walker Noe. I prefer my silhouettes to have some details and not be all black which I know is contrary to what most do. In the field this is how I see these types of shots so this is how I expose for them.
Canon 1dx mark ii and Canon 600 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 2000, F5.6, SS 1/1250

David Cowling
03-27-2019, 11:01 AM
I can see why you captured and processed it this way but silhouettes are not really my cup of tea. Colours are nice and bird nicely positioned in the frame.

David Roach
03-27-2019, 11:39 AM
I see why you you may prefer some details inside but a silhouette really needs sharp edges for me and that is lacking in this one. TFS

Chris van Rooyen
03-27-2019, 12:00 PM
Interesting, novel concept Isaac. I love any out of the box idea. The suggestion of details in the bird works well. Could not make up my mind at first, but its starting to grow on me...

dankearl
03-27-2019, 12:10 PM
I would not call this a silhouette...The smudgy BG line does not work at all...

Isaac Grant
03-27-2019, 12:26 PM
A silhouette is a dark shape against a light background. What exactly would you call it then? As for the background line I find it perfect. I do not like the strong and contrasty silhouettes that I always see posted. Don't think they look realistic. This is a full frame shot and the background is exactly as it appeared in life, a bit hazy and fading away in to the distant setting sun. I easily could have added more contrast or darks to the shot to crisp up the edge, but left as is because that is how I saw it. Also it was 117 degrees that day and there was immense heat coming off of the ground.

William Dickson
03-27-2019, 02:30 PM
I like it, but for my taste I think more contrast on the bird would make it better. I would be more than happy to capture an image like this.

Will

Isaac Grant
03-27-2019, 02:44 PM
William could you please be specific as to exactly what you mean? Are you saying that you think that there should be less details showing or that you would make the bird darker and somehow try to preserve the details? Or make it darker and you don’t care about the details? I know that the way I like these types of images is contrary to the way most others do but I’m very curious to know exactly what you think. When I took this photo I wasn’t trying to get a typical black silhouette but was trying to get more of what these owls look like when they are backlit. More of a glowing bird against a glowing background. Eager to hear what you mean.

William Dickson
03-27-2019, 03:15 PM
something like that...I like to see some detail as well.

Dorian Anderson
03-27-2019, 03:34 PM
I think you were wise to offer some detail on the bird. This bird's shape on its own doesn't make for a particularly interesting silhouette shot. That said, the scene as presented is really pretty. It just tales a second to move beyond the more traditional, blacked-out silhouette and appreciate the details. Some will have the patience, others will not....

Isaac Grant
03-27-2019, 03:36 PM
Thanks William. Got it now. Appreciate it.

Isaac Grant
03-27-2019, 03:44 PM
Thanks Dorian. I have about 100 shots or something of this bird in various stages of sunset. Also have it profiled and much darker as the sun set even more. Don't think I have ever seen a shot like this before of a Burrowing Owl, or any owl for that matter and when in the field really wanted this type of shot. It was so hot that the birds were mostly just sitting and panting. I have photos of them in full sun with the sun at my back that are practically full frame but the shots are boring at best as the bird is just sitting on some clay. This was probably the least work in post that I have ever done on any photo. This is just about exactly what it looked like straight out of the camera and what it looked like while I watched the sun set behind this bird.

Ivan Sjogren
03-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Interesting shot Isaac! I agree that some details in silhouettes can be preferable and in this case I think it works better. Mostly because of Dorians point about that the owl itself doesn't have the most photogenique silhouette.
I'm a fan of the smudgy horizon fading into the BG. The colors look very real and pleasant as well.
Wouldn't this shot work better as a vertical? That would mean you lost most of the dirtline, which I like, though. It just seems odd to have the bird this centered.

Isaac Grant
03-27-2019, 03:55 PM
Hey Ivan, thanks. For me the real star of the shot is the setting sun and the color. And I liked how the owl just looked like a larger bump on the horizon. If I went vertical then I would lose some of that color and context. I did consider a vertical but decided not to for that reason. Certainly there is no harm in going vertical and no right or wrong answer either.

John Mack
03-27-2019, 07:07 PM
Very nice. Like the gradient of the color the background makes. Could see the bird a little more to the right. Still a nice frame.

Anthony Barsotti
03-30-2019, 10:48 AM
Interesting shot, Isaac! I really like backlit shots like these, I think maybe boosting the exposure slightly on the bird to reveal more detail and maybe lowering the brightness on the brighter portion of the sunset gradient might help separate the bird a bit more. For me the key with backlit shots is the rimlight around the bird that helps provide subject isolation against the bright background.