PDA

View Full Version : Common Goldeneye - Angry Bird

Daniel Cadieux
03-25-2019, 06:37 PM
I was again in the right place at the right time when this male Common Goldeneye rounded a corner and swam directly towards me, seemingly unaware of my presence as I laid prone on the ice. After coming in for a short distance it rather nonchalantly turned around and swam calmly back around the corner it came from.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1000s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, slight CW rotation, about 75% FF, deepened the blacks via burn tool, and sponged some colour back into the head feathers.

John Mack
03-25-2019, 06:59 PM
Great low anlge with a nice head on view. The water drops on the head are nice. Like how the water just melts into the background.

Joseph Przybyla
03-25-2019, 07:38 PM
Love the image. The wave, the color of the bird and the background, just wonderful. Thank you for sharing, Dan.

annmpacheco
03-26-2019, 02:31 PM
Hi Daniel, I like your POV and right down the barrel but I am not a fan of the IQ here... The head colors look "unreal" to me and makes me wonder what was seen given the flat light etc, ( for me i've never seen the greens on a golden eye like this) Also, the gradient head feathers lose more detail as well as the body whites, etc, ... For me, not your usual image quality. TFS

William Dickson
03-27-2019, 03:30 PM
Fab POV, DOF and pose. You got the whites looking good. As we talked about previously I think stronger light here would make for better colours on the head. Yes, not an easy bird to expose for.

Will

Dorian Anderson
03-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Great angle, and the bow wave is really cool. Seeing both eyes like this is wonderful. I do agree with Ann that something looks odd about the head, but that may just be a consequence of such a perfectly square view.

Chris van Rooyen
03-28-2019, 11:34 AM
Very effective, the low angle is terrific. Technicals all spot on, very pleasing frame.