PDA

View Full Version : "Out of the Swamp" - Green Swamp Pano HDR

Jason Hahn
12-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Taken on the west side of Green Swamp in Central Florida. The Green Swamp is the second largest wetlands system in Florida after the Everglades, and the headwaters to five major Florida rivers. Taken at sunrise on of one the trails leading into the swamp.

This panoramic image was made using 5 shots stitched horizontally, repeated over five layers from an exposure range from -2 to +2. Stitched manually in photoshop, and then combined in Photomatix.

Jason

James Shadle
12-27-2007, 10:36 PM
JP,
Is that a game trail?
I like the way the light runs diagonally through the frame, guiding your eye to the point where the light breaks through the swamp.

James

Maxis Gamez
12-28-2007, 05:26 AM
I like this Jason, the light bean is outstanding!

Jason Hahn
12-28-2007, 07:19 AM
JP,
Is that a game trail?
I like the way the light runs diagonally through the frame, guiding your eye to the point where the light breaks through the swamp.

James

Nope, it is an "equestrian trail". They have a whole series of horse and foot trails throughout the "swamp", much of which is uplands like this. Thanks!

Jason

David Kennedy
12-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Could you elaborate upon how the image was made? It has a really interesting feel
to it!

Jason Hahn
12-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Could you elaborate upon how the image was made? It has a really interesting feel
to it!

Sure. I captured the scene using a 1d MkII with a 24-70 lens on a RRS BH-55 ballhead with a RRS nodal slider and Gitzo leveler. I panned through the scene figuring out my overlap points, usually about 25% for each shot. Then I set up the first shot, figured out the correct exposure, and took five shots, shooting manually from 2 stops under exposed up through 2 stops over exposed, taking one shot at each stop. I then panned to the next shot, overlapping about 25 % pf the scene, and repeated the 5 shot sequence. In post processing I just converted each shot in Breezebrowser, and then created a blank image in Photoshop. I worked with the five shots at the correct middle exposure first, laying them into the image and overlapping them until they were a seamless fit. Using masks, guides, etc., I created a layer for each exposure value, then saved an image file for each exposure value, so that I had five images of the same scene, at each stop of exposure. I then combined them in Photomatix HDR, generated a tone map, exported the image as a tif, and then brought it back into photoshop for adjustments and sharpening.

Jason

David Kennedy
12-30-2007, 09:44 PM
OK, that's interesting. So, you must have copied the layer mask for a given "normal" exposure layer to the other layers of the same composition (but different exposure values). I've always wanted to try to incorporate HDR into my panos but hadn't figured out a good way to do it. I'll have to try it your way (manually).

It's too difficult to ask AutoPano to create identical panos from groups of identically composed--if differently exposed--images.

Alfred Forns
12-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Love the light play This is beautiful Jason !!!!

Robert Amoruso
12-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Jason,

Thanks for the details. Expertly executed composition and technique.

Hillebrand Breuker
01-04-2008, 02:35 PM
This is excellent. Great control over the light. I love the balanced feel and the composition a lot. One of the best HDR images I have seen