PDA

View Full Version : Martial Eagle

Chris van Rooyen
03-14-2019, 12:08 PM
I created this image several years back in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. A pair of Martial Eagles bred in a Camel Thorn close to Twee Rivieren rest camp that year. Every evening, for several days, their recently fledged chick would perch on the branches of a fallen tree in front of the nest tree, and watch the cars driving past. She was a spectacular bird, and offered the most incredible opportunities for close-up images. The Martial Eagle is Africa's largest eagle, with a wing span of up to 2.4m, and capable of taking prey up to the size of small antelopes. I deliberately retained the yellow cast of the evening sun, as that is how I remember the scene. Small crop, background noise removed with Neat Image.

Camera Model: NIKON D3S
Date/Time: 2011:12:23 19:09:14
Shutter speed: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Manual
Exposure compensation: -1/3
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 1400
Lens: 600.0 mm f/4.0
Focal length: 600mm

David Roach
03-14-2019, 01:10 PM
What a stately young one in golden light. Love the natural light on the lighter plumage of the chest, neck and legs as well as the details/colors in the darker plumage. You might lighten the lore/eye on the shadow side due to head turn slightly off light angle. Overall, an awesome image of a stunning bird. TFS

William Dickson
03-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Looking good Chris....I agree with David about the shadow, but apart from that what a fab frame. Beautiful detail, light, BG and perch. Really nice, what a beautiful looking bird, well done.

Will

Isaac Grant
03-14-2019, 08:20 PM
Great bird and I like the proud pose. To me this image has a bit too much of a yellow cast that I would remove. Also I think the bird would benefit from a bit more sharpening.

Ian McLachlan
03-15-2019, 04:35 AM
One of the great raptors of the world Chris .Truly majestic. I like the dead wood and the background a lot. Wouldn't change anything. I have some frames of a youngster about this age taken about 7/8 years ago in Botswana which really took no notice of us when we stopped the vehicle about 10 yards away and kept on preening, so they are pretty confident of their place in the world .Rightly so. Thanks for a lovely portrait

John Mack
03-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Nice bird in nice light. What more could you ask for.