PDA

View Full Version : Barrow's Goldeneye (female)

Daniel Cadieux
03-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Although there is usually one or two of this species found in our area almost every winter, it is considered a rare bird here. They are also usually too far for "proper" bird photography. Well, one was spotted at another location, and the beauty of it is it is loosely associating with mallrds, close to shore where I can lie down on the ice and get great low angle full-frame images. It even came well inside MFD on a couple of occasions, and slept at point-blank range for a while too. It was cold and raining on this day, drenching me back (rain) and front (melting snow from my body heat while lying on the ice)...oh what fun!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/200s., f/11, ISO 1600, natural light (but I added the catchlight in post), FF. Deepened the blacks and upped the saturation more than usual to compensate for the washed-out but properly exposed raw file.

John Mack
03-12-2019, 03:37 PM
Nice low angle with a good composition. The rain drops on the bird make a nice touch. Details look great.

Krishna Prasad kotti
03-12-2019, 06:07 PM
Really like the point of view.

I would add more vibrance to the image and brighten the eye a little bit

We do have some golden eyes visiting us during winters. I wish I could get this lowers to the golden eyes in my area...

TFS

David Roach
03-12-2019, 08:12 PM
A cold, wet slice of nirvana. Love the low angle, the wake, close view, BG and those water drops. Are those feathers on the bill? TFS

annmpacheco
03-13-2019, 09:53 AM
You came home with a sweet image Dan, POV, drops on the head and the very neutral BG makes this detailed and colorful duck "shine!"

Daniel Cadieux
03-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Thanks everyone.

David, the base of the bill is blackish on this individual...but slowly turning all orange (except for the tip).

Jonathan Ashton
03-13-2019, 12:36 PM
Dan you have to suffer for your craft..... and it was well worthwhile, lovely intimate portrait, super details as always and I love those water droplets.:cheers:

Geoffrey Montagu
03-13-2019, 01:54 PM
I like that you kept the IQ the way you saw this individual. I love the misty, rainy day look. I also like that you stopped down carrying the depth of field from front to back. Love all the raindrops, and what an eye.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

William Dickson
03-13-2019, 03:26 PM
I think you got the exposure spot on....love the POV, as usual. Nice HA and colours on the bird. Looking good Dan, well done...Any males!!

Will

Isaac Grant
03-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Wow that has as much dark on the bill as any barrow's I have ever seen! I like the shooting angle and the water on the bird. I do think the photo needs more contrast as it is a bit washed out.

Tim Foltz
03-13-2019, 07:26 PM
Daniel, nice and sharp, low angle, good HA and nice colors considering the light.

-Tim

Randy Stout
03-17-2019, 08:29 AM
Daniel:

I really like the atmospherics here. I do appreciate the comments about more contrast/saturation, but the feel here is very evocative of the conditions .
I see you are still crawling around on your belly like a reptile! You need to carry a waterproof ground cloth with you!

Cheers

Randy