PDA

View Full Version : American Wigeon

arash_hazeghi
03-09-2019, 01:53 AM
American Wigeon in flight. Hope you like it

Shot with D850 and 500 PF ISO 640 f/5.6 at 1/3200 sec hand held processed with C1P

Paul Burdett
03-09-2019, 02:23 AM
Amazing detail and colours! On my laptop it looks somewhat over sharpened, and there are blown highlights on the wing and head...but it's probably my laptop as your images are always inspirational. The D850/500PF is a combo I've been seriously thinking about, as a step up from my 7Dii/100-400, but I know it's the skill of the photographer more than the gear...and you have the skill.

Arthur Morris
03-09-2019, 06:08 AM
Looks great to me but hard to believe that you are stooping so low as to photograph ducks. What's next, a swimming duck???

Sharpening looks fine to me and the WHITEs on the wings are nowhere near blown as the RGB values there are in the mid-220s. Working at 785% on the head I found a very few pixels at 255, 255, 250 but most of the WHITEs on the cap are well below that. Paul, folks need to understand two things: you are rarely gonna see fine feather detail in white feathers especially when the images (unlike this one) are made in soft light. And yes, the 500 PF is a deadly weapon for bird photographers. But don't forget what Dan Cadieux has done with the 7D II ...

with love, artie

Paul Burdett
03-09-2019, 06:51 AM
Artie: Thanks for the info...much appreciated.

annmpacheco
03-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Wonderfully sharp and full of details. The "white" wing patch looks a bit greyed out (post processing...?) How did you tame the whites there? Proper exposure is difficult as you well know on this duck and i always remember wigeons to have snow white wing patch, not "dirty" snow wing patch!

William Dickson
03-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Lovely flight pose and detail throughout. Agree about the whites on the wing. Apart from that, a beautiful piece of flight photography.

Will

Daniel Cadieux
03-09-2019, 03:48 PM
I love it Arash. Perfect wing position. The only that would have made it better would be for the speculum to have shined some green as it sometimes does.

P.S. Thank you Artie :-)

Joseph Przybyla
03-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Yup, show me something that is not perfect. Wonderful image, Ari. Thank you for sharing.

arash_hazeghi
03-09-2019, 04:14 PM
Wonderfully sharp and full of details. The "white" wing patch looks a bit greyed out (post processing...?) How did you tame the whites there? Proper exposure is difficult as you well know on this duck and i always remember wigeons to have snow white wing patch, not "dirty" snow wing patch!

Thanks Ann, the whites do not look greyed out on my monitor, it is a monitor calibration issue as I did not touch the whites.

arash_hazeghi
03-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Amazing detail and colours! On my laptop it looks somewhat over sharpened, and there are blown highlights on the wing and head...but it's probably my laptop as your images are always inspirational. The D850/500PF is a combo I've been seriously thinking about, as a step up from my 7Dii/100-400, but I know it's the skill of the photographer more than the gear...and you have the skill.

Hi Paul, I think your laptop screen is not good enough for critical viewing, before you invest on a new camera I suggest you purchase a high quality screen so that you can view and process your images correctly. The sub par laptop screens are holding many folks back IMO

on the camera front, if you can make the switch I'd do it in a heart beat. There is just no comparison between what you have and the D850 + 500PF.

best

dankearl
03-09-2019, 04:25 PM
I like your ducks more than your raptors...
Another dazzler.

gail bisson
03-09-2019, 07:55 PM
Beautiful wing position and so sharp.
I agree the whites look greyed out. I would whiten the whites even if this is not a processing issue.
Gail

arash_hazeghi
03-09-2019, 08:12 PM
Beautiful wing position and so sharp.
I agree the whites look greyed out. I would whiten the whites even if this is not a processing issue.
Gail

Thanks Gail I am sure ire it looks that way on your screen but not mine. As we have discussed this many times before it is a monitor calibration difference and a moot point IMO.

John Mack
03-10-2019, 08:45 AM
Sweet flight frame. Like the downstroke pose and the blue water background.