PDA

View Full Version : Malachite Kingfisher with catch

Chris van Rooyen
03-08-2019, 05:12 AM
I recently created this image in the Kruger National Park. It was softly drizzling at the time, and this little gem appeared out of nowhere at a stream crossing where we stood waiting in the car. I deliberately opted for a wider angle to portray something of the atmosphere - I like the tangle of damp twigs with droplets framing the bird against the soft green background. I suspect this might not be in everybody's taste, but I am looking forward to receiving comments. About 70% crop. LR and PS CC, removed noise with Neat Image. Fixed the steel eye caused by the flash in PS.

Camera Model: NIKON D5
Date/Time: 2019:01:03 10:49:45
Shutter speed: 1/1000 sec
Aperture: 6.3
Exposure mode: Manual
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Flash: -0.3 fill flash
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 4000
Focal length: 500mm

greg cowle
03-08-2019, 06:05 AM
I like this type of image: habitat, subject small-in-the-frame, action/prey. The kingfisher really pops against your nice background.

kevin Hice
03-08-2019, 06:32 AM
Nice capture Chris, Not familiar with the bird. Blues look to saturated or hot especially on the top of the head. Eye looks good.I too like the natural habitat look.

gail bisson
03-08-2019, 07:45 AM
I have come back to this a couple of times and I can't decide how I feel about it.
The KF and prey are lovely and I really like where you are going with the composition.
I like the raindrops.
If mine, I would get rid of the 3 vertical branches to the right of KF. It would clean the image up a bit without losing the "feel" you are trying to convey.
I would also get rid of the bright raindrop above the branch above the KF's head.
Gail

Mike Poole
03-08-2019, 08:54 AM
I like shots with some environmental interest, so on that front this one works for me. Unfortunately, to me the shot looks over flashed - I'm no expert on the flash techs but about half the power you used may have helped it look a little more natural

Mike

arash_hazeghi
03-09-2019, 02:01 AM
I like the pose, the rain drops and the BG. the main issue for me is the rather cluttered environment, although it is part of habitat. The pano crop has helped with the flow and the balance but the branches pull my eye from the subject it can be improved with some substantial cloning work

TFS

William Dickson
03-09-2019, 12:45 PM
I see what your are getting at here Chris..I think with a few less branches it would work. I like the crop and colours throughout the image.

Will

Daniel Cadieux
03-09-2019, 04:05 PM
I actually like the busy habitat here. Any more and would be too busy but this feels just about right to me. I do find the saturation a touch strong for my personal tastes though. Prey item was a nice bonus!

Chris van Rooyen
03-10-2019, 02:06 AM
Thanks to everyone who has commented on this image, much appreciated. I think the wide ranging commentary proves again that beauty is in the eye of the beholder to a large extent:w3