PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Egret

Joseph Przybyla
03-04-2019, 07:44 AM
Snowy Egret from a morning at the rookery in Gatorland, Orlando, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 320mm
1/3200 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 640 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
Full Frame

kevin Hice
03-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Great shot Joe. This might be my favorite.

dankearl
03-04-2019, 03:30 PM
Nice detail and BG color..
Head, neck and shoulder look great.
A little hot at the bottom, I might crop a tad.

gail bisson
03-05-2019, 06:42 AM
Love the pose and the BG makes the snowy pop off the page.
I think the whites are a bit grayed out, especially around the face. But the fine details are there and I would redo with new processing on the whites.
Did you try going to selective color in PS CC and choosing "whites" and then reduce the blacks in the whites?
Gail

Joseph Przybyla
03-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Love the pose and the BG makes the snowy pop off the page.
I think the whites are a bit grayed out, especially around the face. But the fine details are there and I would redo with new processing on the whites.
Did you try going to selective color in PS CC and choosing "whites" and then reduce the blacks in the whites?
Gail

Hi Gail, took your suggestion and revisited the image. Here is repost of another way the image can be processed.

gail bisson
03-05-2019, 10:58 AM
How did you do that? Change the BG to black that is? I still see some green bleeding into the white crest feathers but still pretty neat!!
Gail

Joseph Przybyla
03-05-2019, 11:25 AM
How did you do that? Change the BG to black that is? I still see some green bleeding into the white crest feathers but still pretty neat!!
Gail

Hi Gail, all with the sliders and tone curve in Lightroom. You are right regarding the green bleeding, the black background sets it off. So I worked up another deciding I did not like the black background. Turning the background black caused the bleeding. Here is the new workup.

John Mack
03-05-2019, 04:41 PM
Pretty nice portrait. Like the one with the black background the most.

Jim Crosswell
03-05-2019, 05:28 PM
I like the pose, ruffled feathers and the whites in the repost look better to me. Nice image Joe.

Joseph Przybyla
03-06-2019, 10:05 AM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.