PDA

View Full Version : Wood Stork Portrait

gail bisson
03-04-2019, 05:45 AM
I love these guys. They are so prehistoric looking and I always feel like I am looking at a true dinosaur when I see them.
Taken In Lakeland, Florida last month.
Canon 1 DX 600 mm 1.4 x
ISO 1600 SS 1/1600 F 6.3
Full frame- cropped in from the sides.
Taken just before sunset so I removed most of the yellow tint from the white feathers and work on the whites as they were hot.
Nothing added or cloned. NR to BG.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Jim Crosswell
03-04-2019, 06:26 AM
I like the tight composition, IQ, details, light and beautiful BG. It is a bit tricky to remove the light from the whites only and have the head look natural. I would like to see a version with the yellows toned down on the head. Beautiful work as always Gail.

Joseph Przybyla
03-04-2019, 07:17 AM
Hi Gail, I love these birds also. Good detail on the head and neck, lovely colored background. I wonder why you tried to take the warm late evening glow from the whites while leaving it in the rest of the image. Were you at Lake Morton? Thank you for sharing.

kevin Hice
03-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Gail looks good. Details are superb on the neck and head. I personally like the yellow or golden color. Sometimes that color cast is what we get in soft light. For me I see it in the whites also on my monitor.
I am sure you could redo and get another great version.

gail bisson
03-04-2019, 01:02 PM
Hi Joe. This was at Lake Parker.
Gail

dankearl
03-04-2019, 03:31 PM
I think the whites are a bit hot, but there is so much to look at with all the superb details in the head and beak
you only notice if you look for it..

gail bisson
03-05-2019, 06:39 AM
Here is a repost (with the next frame) where I simply lowered the color balance and did a luminosity mask on the whites. Image is still a bit crap because of the hot whites but I still like it!

John Mack
03-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Fancy portrait. Nice detail with a good background.

Jim Crosswell
03-05-2019, 06:40 PM
I like the extra room below the bill on this one.

arash_hazeghi
03-09-2019, 02:05 AM
nice head shot Gail and repost adressed the hot whites. I'd opt for more room around. not the most handsome bird but a handsome portrait for sure

TFS